Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Masa

Posted by jcurtis912 Long Beach, CA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 15:31

I mix in some corn masa into my compost bedding with my worms yesterday. I checked in on it this morning. They went ABSOLUTELY NUTS. They are in like 3 or 4 big swirling masses, right next to clumps of corn masa that has lots of BSFL larvae in it. They look fat, and when i picked one up, it had a shiny irridescent sheen to it.

Why do people say corn meal is bad for the worms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Masa

It's because some overgeneralize, they have one bad experience and write the food off totally. Some foods are more risky than others when being added to a bin, either due to heating issues, potential ammonia, excess moisture, etc.. But the actual risk depends on other things like quantity, type of bin, how it's added, age of bin etc. as well as the added material itself. But some are still prone to be a bit dramatic and say food xxx is bad under any circumstance.

o
RE: Corn Masa

I have a 5lb bag of masa way out of date. How thick a layer did you add, or how did you mix it with what kind of bedding? I was a little hesitant to put much in.

I believe worms will eat ANYTHING that once lived, plant or animal...... Key is to feed slow and in moderation. Pocket feed to be safe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here