Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mushrooms as worm feed?

Posted by bstruss 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 15:35

I have been pulling wild mushrooms that sprout in the yard and putting them in my worm compost bins. I was wondering if anyone else has done this? I get lots of these springing up in my yard and it seems like a pretty good source of food for the worms. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: New Easy Roll worm composter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mushrooms as worm feed?

I do it and the worms eat them.I used to worry that some would be poison, but no problems.
Are you using the EZ roll? How long have you used it and how do you like it?

Thanks, Pete

o

Yes, I use quite a few Easy Roll bins. But I am biased because it is my innovation. One thing that amazed me was how long the plywood lasts, even ones I haven't painted, and that stay fairly wet (one for almost three years now).

I wouldn't worry about any poisonous mushrooms, because the toxins would break down before decomposing. I just lay the mushroom right on top, and because in addition to micro-organisms, fungus is another thing that worms feed on (and it's free!). However, I don't really see mine getting up under the shrooms until they break down.

o

I'm not familiar with Easy Roll. ??

o

When my bin gets going strong (especially after some chicken poo has been in there), it gets wave after wave of mushrooms until that stage is over. They don't seem to have any issues with breaking down, as I think they are 'inky cap mushrooms'.
They come up pretty fast, but then they bloom over night and dissolve into ink before morning.

When that stage is done, the grass layers in the bin are generally pretty dried out and separated, held into flakes (like a bail of straw) by the white fog of fungus fibers. I spray some water to wet it down again and then the worms will come into those grass layers which were previously too tough to eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here