Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting With Only Adult Worms

Posted by crazyforworms Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 16:51

Hello everyone. I have been following these very informative forums for a couple of months with great pleasure.

August 1st I bought a couple of lbs of euros from a local supplier. I was disappointed to see no babies or worm sacs in the bunch, but the supplier had brought them from another location, so I didn't attempt to bargain with him for a mix. I am raising the worms in a dark plastic worm bin using cardboard and newspaper for bedding. I prepared the bedding as many suggest and I have been careful in my feeding. I use the freeze-and-thaw method for my scraps and mix the veggies with oats. I have used ground eggshells for grit in small quantities. I wait for the food to more or less disappear before feeding again and there is neither bad odor nor overabundance of any type critter other than worms in the bin. Mites congregate when I put in watermelon but I do that sparingly. The worms seem happy to stay where they are.

However, I have yet to see a baby or an egg sac. I wonder how difficult it will be to populate the bin given that all starting worms were adults. I'm not savy enough to tell whether the worms were at a good breeding age or past it. Is one month too soon to expect to see proof of breeding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting With Only Adult Worms

There is no vermi menopause. Starting with only worms of breeding age will do nothing to slow down the growth of your herd. I don't know why you think having lots of worms too young to breed would cause them to breed faster. Give your worms time. 30 days is too soon to see baby worms. You may very well have cocoons that you have not seen. They are small, and can be anywhere in the bedding. From your description, you are doing fine. you should start seeing young worms soon.

o

Thanks for the reply. I got the impression that age made a difference from something I read on the net but I can't find the article again. In any event, your answer makes me feel better. I will curb my tendency to rush things. :)

o

When the time comes, the opportunity and the environment is right you'll pop the lid and it'll be obvious. You'll feel ashamed, embarrassed and apologetic. They will scream at you, Can't you knock?

It's the cucurbits. Does it every time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here