Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyforworms

Starting With Only Adult Worms

crazyforworms
10 years ago

Hello everyone. I have been following these very informative forums for a couple of months with great pleasure.

August 1st I bought a couple of lbs of euros from a local supplier. I was disappointed to see no babies or worm sacs in the bunch, but the supplier had brought them from another location, so I didn't attempt to bargain with him for a mix. I am raising the worms in a dark plastic worm bin using cardboard and newspaper for bedding. I prepared the bedding as many suggest and I have been careful in my feeding. I use the freeze-and-thaw method for my scraps and mix the veggies with oats. I have used ground eggshells for grit in small quantities. I wait for the food to more or less disappear before feeding again and there is neither bad odor nor overabundance of any type critter other than worms in the bin. Mites congregate when I put in watermelon but I do that sparingly. The worms seem happy to stay where they are.

However, I have yet to see a baby or an egg sac. I wonder how difficult it will be to populate the bin given that all starting worms were adults. I'm not savy enough to tell whether the worms were at a good breeding age or past it. Is one month too soon to expect to see proof of breeding?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting