Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningnub

Florida native worms

gardeningnub
10 years ago

i have worms taking over my compost pile and i would like to try identify them. i have recently had problems with aints in my compost pile. so i tried watering it to make the pile unsuitable for aint colonies. this seemed to work great. after watering it i turned it and no aints also it started to smell like horse manure. last time i turned it the pile was full of worms. i have tried before to find worms around my house and never any luck. i live in a sandy part of central florida and was hoping someone could tell me some typical species that will move into a compost pile. i have tried to indentify them using a chart from opal http://www.opalexplorenature.org/sites/default/files/7/file/Field-guide-OPAL-online.pdf , but they are not mature yet so i think that may be a problem. the closest i could find was i think a rosey tipped worm "Aporrectodea rosea". they usualy have a orange to redish saddle and head. i also found some information on manure worms aka red worms and also red wigglers, as i mentioned my compost smells like manure so that got me wondering about that.

thank you for any suggestions.

This post was edited by gardeningnub on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 17:45

Comments (5)

• armoured
    10 years ago

I can't really help in identifying, but it probably would help to know why you want to identify them and for what purpose.

My really short answer to your question, if they're living in wet compost that smells like manure, they're almost certainly compost worms and will turn out great compost - if that's what you're looking for, you're set.

In terms of care and feeding, since you're in a hot environment, just keep it reasonably wet - by which I don't mean soaking, just damp - and ideally somewhat protected from the sun/heat. If it's a compost pile, should be fine as long as it's big enough and with access to ground for them to hide from the heat and kept moist. Add some cardboard or other 'bedding', likely pre-soaked, also as a buffer/safe space. Turn the pile infrequently.

At any rate, sounds like you've created a great environment for them and they're multiplying. To me the manure smell means it might be a bit too wet, but then again, never argue with results.

• gardeningnub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you very much for the info. i tried to do a diy stack of buckets to compost kitchen waiste with bait store worms, but i dont know anything about worms other than how to put them on a hook. needless to say as i read most people kill theyr first batch. i am realy glad to read these are most likely a compost worm. that is what i was trying to raise the bait store worms for. know i might do a how to video for youtube on how to get free compost worms. i think what i did would work most anywhere except a desert, considering i have never found any worms near my house.

again thank you very much.

• armoured
    10 years ago

My pleasure. This is how I started too - big pile of leaves, clippings and apples that accumulated by necessity, and when I dug it up, was wild with worms. Those populated my bins nicely. Now I know where to look, I find them all over the place, and in fact they usually show up in the bins without me much trying.
    Some compost worms are used as bait worms, but for the most part bait worms probably are not compost worms - or at least not reliably so. Worms that just 'show up' in compost piles almost always are compost worms.
    I don't worry much about what kind. I'm pretty sure mine are either red wrigglers or European nightcrawlers, or maybe a mix. Either way works for me.
    Look foward to seeing your video.

• armoured
    10 years ago

Funny timing (and unrelated):
    http://www.redwormcomposting.com/reader-questions/do-i-have-the-right-worms/#more-8363

"SO, any time you find loads of one species (often fairly small - but not necessarily) throughout your compost heap (or test pile), there is a very good chance youâÂÂve found a species that can serve as a valuable âÂÂcomposting wormâÂÂ."

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor