Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightcrawler46

Worm Fables

nightcrawler46
11 years ago

After stalking this website for a few years I feel I can no longer be silent. As a professional worm farmer in SW Colorado I have learned much in the relationship between worms and plants. We sell different types of worm castings, one mix actually comes with Fetida eggs and babies. People constantly ask us if the worms will hurt the plants, we say no. We have set up a display greenhouse to prove our advice. Too many potted vegetables to mention here as well as hundreds of houseplants consisting of anything that will grow in our harsh climate. We always have two of each, one with worms and one without. The plants with worms are just as happy and healthy as those without. I am not a scientist, but a farmer with the best produce in the area, because of heavy worm activity. We have not had one single problem with any of our greenery since adding worms to our pots 5 years ago. None of our customers have ever come back to complain or ever mentioned any sort of problem. I have found people who talk smack about earthworms usually have no evidence to back it up, or they say some ridiculous thing like "the worms ate my roots". Almost always they just suck at gardening and need somebody to blame. I have thousands of pounds of worms working for me and not a single sick plant. Our local Bio students come out all the time to study and gather information, most of them telling me their instructors constantly dismiss any positive effects of worms in pots. I don't have scientific data to show, but I have living proof that potted plants love worms, even the big European Nightcrawlers, and those who disagree never seem to have the guts to come see our proof.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner