Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over thinking the egg carton

Posted by merrygardener z8olywa (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 18:25

I have sourced a huge stack of egg cartons, my preferred bedding and usually the answer to anything that might be might be wrong in the bin. Yeah!! However, the cardboard has a bit more of a "celulouse" texture to them.... as if they are part plastic. They don't have any of the usual dust when torn. Has anyone noticed such slight changes in their cardboard cartons? Do they function as well as the conventional cartons? Are you using or avoiding them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over thinking the egg carton

This is just my opinion how things worked for me. I have tried a lot of different mixes in the bed . I will say cardboard egg cartons tend to wad up and not get used like shredded newsprint.. Also I find Im not happy with coco coir as some of the coir hairs would be left and maybe thats just a bad batch of it but I switched back to using peat, compost , and coffee grounds leaving the former two out . Thats just how it worked for me , for others it may be ok.

o

Thanks for your viewpoint, Steve. I was really thinking Equinox would chime in first!

o

Almost all paper products, IMHO, are better than egg cartons. Cardboard, newspaper, paper towel & TP rollers.

Corregated (sp?) cardboard glue is, I believe, both an addictive drug and an aphrodesiac (sp?) for the herd.

Sory fo thu speling erers.

CarlosDanger

o

Duplicate post......sorry

This post was edited by CarlosDanger on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 21:47

o

My herd is so productive that they have no need for aphrodisiacs! I have never like the result of paper in the bins (is it just me?), preferring egg cartons, toilet paper tubes and some occasional corrugated cardboard.

o

merrygardener, I inspected all egg cartons I have and in several grocery stores and have not noticed a difference. It is possible an egg carton experiment is under way in your area. A Google search did not have information on this.

But you clearly observed something so we should keep an eye on this topic. Especially if we do not want plastic in our bins.

This post was edited by equinoxequinox on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 12:46

o

Yep, same here. Didn't notice any plastic in the paper pulp egg cartons. Thank for the warning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here