Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adult Worms & Cocoons

Posted by jaytea 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 26, 09 at 18:39

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a cocoon separate from a red worm? Many times I have seen the tiny worms come out of the cocoon, but I have never seen the cocoon leave the parent worm. Has anyone?
Thanks,
JT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adult Worms & Cocoons

I have. The cocoon is soft and white when the adult worm 'wriggles out of it' and only turns hard and yellow later.

o

Thanks for the reply cath. Does the parent, when it 'wriggles' out of the cocoon, move quickly? Or is it a slower process. I have no idea what the cocoon looks like while it is still attached to the parent. Is it visible then?
Janet T

o

The cocoon looks like part of the worm, so you won't really notice it. It's really just a ring of mucous, which as long as it's still attached to the worm, stays moist and translucent, tending toward white just before it's cast off. Then it hardens when it's no longer on the worm.

o

Thanks again cath! That makes perfect sense. I have seen the cocoons as they are still attached to the worms per your desciption. I just haven't seen them come off the worms.
J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here