Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too much nitrogen?

Posted by raquibird (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 19:50

Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing? My vegetable foliage is beautiful, but it seems that the production of vegetables is much smaller than before I began to use the beautiful soil on my beds. I grow everything from seed, and so vegetables come in later than those that come from nurseries in little 6 packs - but I don't think it's a matter of time. Also, the vegetables - mainly different kinds of summer squash seem to taste bland. Is there too much nitrogen, and that's what's making the foliage so green? I use only kitchen scraps - oh, and some coffee grounds someone gave me. I have large beds - outside, on the ground. The temperature seems to be just right for them - the damp sponge - plenty and plenty of worms - so what's wrong? Is there anything wrong?
Also, does anybody know about Musica beans? Perhaps they need something different in the soil department? Making lots of 'comma' beans, that don't seem to straighten out. Maybe I should have a little talk with the worms.
And where does worm 'juice' come from ?? I have only lovely black soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too much nitrogen?

If you have plenty of nitrogen already in your soil and you add nitrogen fertilizer, you can get overly lush foliage growth at the expense of flowering and fruiting. Perhaps a soil test would be in order if you don't discover the cause quickly. How much coffee grounds did you use? They are a good nitrogen source, I've used em to fertilize container plants that were suffering nitrogen deficiency.

o
RE: too much nitrogen?

not necessarily too much N, tho' possible, especially if you use any fertilizer other than compost .... may also be the weather [especially this year!!] - foliage should be lush and deep green, but a lack of something else can easily prevent flowering/fruiting, even a lack at a particular stage of growth or when the temps are just right

and the curly beans can be a number of things too

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here