Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help locating blue worm supplier in US

Posted by bphillips1589 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 19:57

I live in south louisiana and am planning on experimenting with vermicomposting some of the invasive aquatic plants we have here, and think that blue worms might be perfect for the job. Unfortunately I can't locate any online. Any help will be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help locating blue worm supplier in US

Why do you think blue worms (tropical worms seldom sold in the US) will do a better job than red wrigglers (adapted to our climate & widely available here)?

o
Mixes

I've seen blue worms sold in combination with red wigglers in the South, including Georgia and Alabama. There was a demonstration garden in Huntsville I visited which had a large compost pile utilizing red wigglers and blue worms. The blue worms were amazingly active, even compared to the wigglers. As I recall, the blues were an accidental addition to the pile, but did thrive there. I believe the lady I talked to about the system also said that it would be hard to get a culture of just blues separated out, but that the combination was a good Southern idea because the blues migrated well into new areas (this pile was in the middle of a large yard work area, with other piles near by), and they could tolerate the heat and humidity of the summer well in the upper portions of the piles, while the reds would move down some in the summer to escape some of the heat.
Renais

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here