Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Science Fair on vermicomposting

Posted by kiyo GA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 22:12

Right now, I'm really curious about vermicomposting and I'm going to do it for my science fair. I've set 6 subgoals. I'm going to compare soil texture, porosity and N-K-P before and after vermicomposting. I'm also going to compare the population, the weigh, compare nutrients between an inorganic fertilizer, observe how worms eat, and labeling all the food I gave to the worms. However, I don't know what I should do for my main goal. I have to vermicompost it for 3 months so it would be the beginning of November by then. So it's going to start to get a little bit chilly outside. Therefore I don't think I could grow anything with the soil. Thus I thought I should make several kinds of vermicompost with different kinds of worms like Eudrilus eugeniae, and Lumbricus rubellus. I already have Eisenia fetida but I can't find the other composting worms. Do you know any website that sells worms, or do you have any other main goal you can think off other than comparing worms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Science Fair on vermicomposting

How about amount of food waste avoiding the landfill

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm suppliers

o

With all the comparisons that you want to make, three months isn't very long to get results. You might consider setting up several ice cream bucket size mini-bins. You want the worms to be crowded so that they can find each other and mate.

One of our Hawaiian forum members has had success with those type of mini-bins. Waikiki Worms is just one of many companies/organizations that set up workshops in schools. And then there is a woman in New York (http://www.cityworm.com/about.htm) who promotes something called Wormware, "the world's smallest kitchen composter."

Folly

Here is a link that might be useful: Waikiki Worm Co.,

o

Kiyo -- Thinking more about what should be your main goal, how about comparing the results of worm composting and garden hot composting? Each time you feed your worms, place the same amount in an outdoor compost bin or pile. Your final report could be a comparison of the progress, smell, pest problems, and resulting Organic material.

Folly

o

Thank you

o

Another worm to consider would be perionyx excavatus, Indian Blue. They're reputed to be faster composters and faster breeders than EF.

One idea I got from redwormcomposting.com is the '4 worm experiment'. Bentley started with 4 EFs and then counted the number after 5.5 months. I'm trying the same with PE. I'm not sure that 3 months would give you quite the spectacular results that a little longer would, but it's an idea. Since their growth can be exponential, just a little longer would make a big difference.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here