Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckstarchaser

What a 2 year old, undisturbed bin looks like

buckstarchaser
9 years ago

My worm bin is a 110 gallon black rubber Tuff Stuff oval tank. I've been worming in it for 2 winters and 3 summers now, and it's been outside in a shed this whole time. Because of an unexpected aversion to using the product of the bin, I've done pretty much nothing but feed it and/or neglect it since starting it. This means that the vermicompost in it has been relatively untouched since the worms made it, but now I'm ready to open the treasure chest and start spending the loot.

At the start I figured I wanted space for water to build up without drowning the worms, so I put about 2 inches of pine bark mulch on the bottom, and then covered it with about an 1/8 inch of newspaper. Within a few months, the smell of anaerobic decomposition was in the air. The tub is sturdy enough that I was able to stick a chunk of wood under each end and slide a water heater drain pan under the middle. Since the middle was unsupported, it bowed slightly in the middle.

Fortunately, my friend is a plumber and had a long drill bit extension to pop some holes in the center of the tub bottom. This lets it drain into the pan. He piped from the pan to a collection bucket so that I could collect the black liquid gold for my trees and plants. Since this stuff stank of anaerobic sulfur, I used a two bucket system and aerated them both 24/7. When I went to use the juice, I would dilute it with well water 50/50.

When the bin was dug down to the newspaper in the center for drilling holes, there were worms in that anaerobic zone. They were darker than the ones near the surface, and I suspect they were colored by the nitrite down there (like a butcher colors steaks).

At some point, I sprinkled garden lime on the surface of the bin and watered it in. This quickly ended the anaerobic smells, but it flocculated the dissolved solids from the water in the collection buckets too, leaving semi-clear water with a bunch of snowflakes on the bottom.

The second winter, I hung some rabbit cages above the bin. This kept the food coming to the worms nonstop, whereas it was hard for me to find enough 'greens' to put in there before. By spring I decided to build an outdoor rabbit area and re-convert the shed to a much larger rabbit operation. This means the worm bin will have to go so I can put custom sized bins in there. I was under the impression that the bin was full anyway, because it was mounded up with rabbit manure. It's not full anymore though, the worms just needed the heat of spring to speed up their digestion.

This year, ever since the pile of rabbit waste has converted to vermicompost, there is no more liquid coming to my collection bucket unless I give the bin a good spray-down with the hose. This is no big deal to me to hose the bin down because I have been doing it to get extra liquid for watering plants since the tap was installed. The water coming out is not nearly as dark as it once was though, and the fact that the bin is no longer volunteering the liquid gold, tells me that what's left in there is essentially done. As far as my novice gardening skill tells me, the juice is decent, but not the amazing product that it is often described as. I further suspect that my soil does not have enough water holding capacity to retain the nutrients in the liquid, so it behaves more like an additional watering.

I recently made my first batch of 'dirt' from a few shovel-fulls of the finished vermicompost. It consisted of roughly equal parts well aged wood chip screenings and vermicompost. I then added some play sand and a couple tuna cans full of glacial rock dust. The 2 papaya plants I repotted in this mix have grown faster than my brain can comprehend. I just don't believe a plant could grow that fast and then slow back down. One of them has roots already coming out of the new pot after 4 days though, so I can't really deny the growth. One thing of significant importance to me is that a bare root 2-in-1 Asian pair tree came in the mail before I had stuff to properly plant it. It ended up in a large pot with paver sand and some subsoil that I just happened to have on hand (ground was still frozen). The leaves that came from its initial buds came on and that's all it has had all year. I had a little extra of this new vermi-soil and put a couple trowel-fulls on top of the existing dirt. It's only been 4 days since then and that tree is making its first additional leaves since dormancy.

My point is that the juice from the bin does not seem to be as good as the compost combined with other things. Other conflicting points to make is that the papayas had probably used all the space and nutrient from their existing pot, and since the bad soil in the pear tree pot drained so poorly, all it got was rain water and not worm juice. It did have worms living in that poor dirt the whole time though.

Anyways, I'd like to show a picture of a hole I dug to the bottom of my bin tonight. Notice that the newspaper and wood chips are gone from the bottom, but some dry leaves I put in the first summer never broke down. Other things that don't break down well are the color on cardboard food boxes (like cereal or granola bars), the plastic windows on junk mail, some neon-colored paper flyers, and plastic packing tape (obviously). If you see any worms at the bottom, most of them are a much lighter cream-grey color instead of the deep red-brown from when the bin was anaerobic down there. I think a couple dark ones may have tripped and fell during the digging though. Also, I had put some of my native soil in the bin the first year because I couldn't keep enough stuff in the bin for it to remain deep. The sandy clay stuff is the obvious yellow dirt that the worms didn't bother stirring in for me. You may spot some things that fell back into the hole during digging, but for the most part this is entirely worm poop. I did give the bin a good hosing earlier in the day, not knowing I was going to dig. When this pure worm cast gets wet, it turns to fine mud and is not suitable to be used directly as soil. If it is not dug up or disturbed for a long time, like this bin, it will hold shape and structure when wet, but once disturbed, it won't drain well..

Comments (6)

• pskvorc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Outstanding post, busckstarchaser!

Of particular interest to me were the following comments:

1) As far as my novice gardening skill tells me, the juice is decent, but not the amazing product that it is often described as. And, My point is that the juice from the bin does not seem to be as good as the compost combined with other things.
    I suspect this is closer to reality than the reports of "magic" one so often sees. Especially by those trying to sell "tea".

2) but it flocculated the dissolved solids from the water in the collection buckets too, leaving semi-clear water with a bunch of snowflakes on the bottom.
    Do you think that lime adversely affected the worms?
    Caused floculant to form??? Very interesting. Means unequivocally that something in the the leachate reacted chemically with the lime.

3) The leaves that came from its initial buds came on and that's all it has had all year. I had a little extra of this new vermi-soil and put a couple trowel-fulls on top of the existing dirt. It's only been 4 days since then and that tree is making its first additional leaves since dormancy.
    Pretty convincing "evidence", but... I'm learning from my own efforts that the response of one species to a particular "fertilzer" can be quite different than another's. The vigor of what you have seen could be do to species-specific response to a specific nutrient 'cocktail'.

4) I've done pretty much nothing but feed it and/or neglect it since starting it.
    Another rock on the pile for "leave them alone..."

5) some dry leaves I put in the first summer never broke down.
    AMEN to that! A lesson I have learned.

Paul

• buckstarchaser
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2) but it flocculated the dissolved solids from the water in the collection buckets too, leaving semi-clear water with a bunch of snowflakes on the bottom.
    Do you think that lime adversely affected the worms?
    Caused floculant to form??? Very interesting. Means unequivocally that something in the the leachate reacted chemically with the lime.

It quickly ends the anaerobic smell, so I suspect that whatever organisms were making use of those sour conditions may be impacted. I don't want sour conditions in my bin though. I haven't limed my bin in a long time, but as far as I remember, the worms looked more active after the liming. I got the idea to lime the bin when I read that worms breed more in bins with higher available calcium, and the first thing lime does when it hits water is separate from its calcium ion. I suspect the snowflakes are a result of unspent calcium ions attracting any molecule with a negative charge, becoming heavier than water, and sinking. Since acids have negative charges, flocculation may be the visual evidence of excessive pH buffering.

The problem with using too much lime in the bin is that the plants I used the juice on gained symptoms of high pH nutrient lockout. I was in a sort of "lime is cool" phase at the time, and also limed the plants directly though, so I ended up with double too much lime. I don't recall miraculous plant performance before I limed the bin either, but with the extra calcium I did notice increased leaf durability on my trees.

The Japanese beetles around here need dentures now.

I apparently didn't harm the worms as much as the plants in that period of time. It should be noted that the active ingredient in lime is calcium carbonate, which is in nearly every sip of water you've ever drank, and is in most food products and vegetables. It is quite safe, but potent. Don't use too much, less is more, etc..

5) some dry leaves I put in the first summer never broke down.
    AMEN to that! A lesson I have learned.

I think the leaves need some kind of forest fungus to prepare them for worms to eat. I have some packets of ZHO, but never had the guts to put them in the bin... probably a scam anyway.

I have found that worms will become highly active in the top layers if I put fine wood chips on top. They seem to respond well to fresh or old chips.

The dominant (observed) mushroom that grows in my bin seems to be a white inky cap mushroom. It seems to bloom excessively in response to fresh grass inputs, but will also bloom in its absence.

• pskvorc
    9 years ago

GREAT stuff, buckstarchaser! I'd point to the things I enthusiastically agree with, but it would just look weird in writing.

Paul

• dbobul
    9 years ago

Great piece. Im doing my best to leave mine alone as well. May use some of the dirt to help start some veggies next spring though.

How many worms do you think you started with? And will you sift them out or let them retire from a hard life making you worm poop rich?

• buckstarchaser
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I started the bin with 2Lbs of worms. I have no idea how many worms are in there currently, and I think the quantity shifts with shifting food supply and seasons anyway.

When I harvested, I dug on the opposite end from the freshest food and pushed the surface aside. This got me the castings that were the most finished and had the least amount of worms in them.

There were still a lot of worms in the harvested cast, but they replace their numbers fast enough in the bin and are a wanted part of the soil mix I made.

Hand separating the worms from the castings is the main reason the bin went so long without being harvested, so I'd rather just harvest wormy cast and think happy thoughts.

Worms seem to make the container fit more feed than seems physically possible, over and over. Eventually, the floor joists of the raised shed - which are quite substantial - started to seriously bow under the weight of the bin. I suspect that the bin would eventually reach infinite mass and become a black hole if I don't spend some of the castings now and then.

• pskvorc
    9 years ago

I suspect that the bin would eventually reach infinite mass and become a black hole if I don't spend some of the castings now and then.

:D

Paul

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations