Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helencolby

Black Soldier Larvae

helencolby
13 years ago

ICK ICK ICK !!! I finally got a shovel and shoveled the entire top half of my worm bin and put them all over in the garden. Those things creep me totally out !!! My little red wigglers were all over at the sides and ends of the bin, and the center was crawling with those ugly BSL. and slimy lookin mess. I left the lid up and let some air get to the reds to sort of dry out some of the wetness. I wore gloves and "aereated" the contents with myhands and after 10 hours, it looked so much better. I again dug my hand down into the contents and lots of pretty little reds and lots of them and no sign of those BSL's.

Am I the only one that doesn't like BSL's?

Helen

Comments (6)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

I myself don't like worms. But that is just me. I like systems and how all the parts work together.

My future plans include movin on up to the BSFL. I see it as a specialized type of composting for use in high need situations. BSFL do the pre work to improve the bin enviornment for the worms.

In a solid bottom bin BSFL could, I speculate, prevent string of pearls if dry bedding was added in great quantities and excessive heat creation was attended too.

Others feel differently. That is ok with me.
    Everyone gets to run their bin the way they see fit.
    I feel lucky they share information here to read.

I probably would like BSFL even less.
    But I still want them.

Did they attract birds to watch?

• helencolby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We keep our reds in a large wooden box created especially for the worms. And we keep it in our garage near a drain that was installed so that any leakage could be cleaned off of the floor. The temperature in there never goes below 40º or above 85º because it is part of our basement.
    It just seemed as if the BSFL were multiplying faster than the reds and taking over. They had been there for weeks and no sign of leaving. And they seemed to make the contents so wet and slimy and heavy. I am sure they will be happy in the garden.

I have no doubt that they will return at some point and I will deal with them at that time, perhaps differently and make them a nice place to compost out in the open garden space.

Helen

• pjames
    13 years ago

There are a couple things you can do. They will not get rid of the larvae already in your system.

The first is to look on the underside of your bin lid and the sides of the bin above the bedding. You will probably see little deposits of yellow/tan material, sometimes in rows. BSF lay eggs on on surfaces around the bedding. If you see any, wipe the areas with a little alcohol on a paper towel. Don't saturate the paper towel with enough that you can contaminate your bedding.

The other thing is limit female BSF access to your bin. I'm surprised they get into your garage that easily, but they smell the larvae in there and that attracts them.

I got brought a few larvae into my house with compost to feed the worms. I did not notice until they hatched.

• dsfoxx
    13 years ago

Helen:

I keep a dedicated grubbery for them, since I find them useful for my setting--but I've named the bin and any current or former resident Repulsive. So, no, you're not alone in your reaction. (I harvested some Saturday, and I'm still traumatized. You have my admiration for daring to put your hands in a unit known to contain the things!)

My wormery's topped with a plant in a soil-based potting mix, that mostly keeps the layers from bothering and greatly inhibits any wandering grub that finds its way in, but a soil layer means you don't get truly "pure" vermicast, so it's not the solution for everyone.

Best of luck, whatever solution(s) you choose!

DSF

• hoodat
    13 years ago

If a BSF composter is what you want youtube has an excellent clip that shows how to make a self harvesting unit from a 5 gallon bucket and common plumbing parts from any builders supply store. If you have more wet waste than your worms can handle a BSF unit is oustanding. Those guys can really reduce the volume in a hurry but they aren't very good at composting since they leave almost no mass and their manure is too wet for easy handling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kjNvE5IOdw&feature=related

• pjames
    13 years ago

I just read my post above..."I got brought a few larvae" Guess I ought to proof-read a little.

I am leery about bringing in compost to feed my worms but may try it anyway. I'll get it out of my tumbler which is both very hot and fairly well sealed, so hopefully no fly has made it inside to lay her eggs.

I did set up a plastic trashcan bin for my 'questionable' refuse- dog poop, dead animals and meat products. BSF is the perfect animal to get rid of these kinds of things.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms