Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shredding Cardboard

Posted by depictureboy (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 23:24

Since everyone here has been so great in making suggestions with my worm problem i wanted to share how to easily shred cardboard and newspaper....

First...my main hobby is woodworking...you can see some of my work here:http://lumberjocks.com/depictureboy/projects

anyway I had a bandsaw given to me, its an older 12" model that i dont really use. I have an old dull blade on it, and I thought to myself...hmmmm.....

So I tried it out cutting down boxes into little 1x2 or 2x2 squares and it worked very well. NOW...not everyone would have one of these...so you might say...hey, depictureboy..how does this help me?

Well if you do cutup alot of cardboard...a bandsaw is a great tool to have and Lowes of all places has a mini-bandsaw for only $100...They only have the SKIL listed on their site, but I am sure the one I saw locally was a hitachi....check it out...just becareful...dont get complacent...bandsaws are safer than tablesaws, but they can still bite pretty good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shredding Cardboard

That sounds like fun, actually! I think I will give it a (careful) try! Thanks!

o

My shredder is a Brother's 10 sheet crosscut. It works well enough and will shred cardboard if I cut it into narrow strips but even then it sometimes stalls. An 18 sheet machine can be had for under $300.00 and I think I will get one of those. A lot safer and more convenient than a power saw which I don't have anyway.

Dave Nelson

o

Yeah I'm also a bandsaw fan. At work have large 6ft blade can handle large stacks at 1/4" width.

o

Well after reading this post I went into my back porch and used a cheap jig saw on some cardboard. It was easy to cut small squares. The only thing was to keep the cardboard supported close to the blade. It cut three layers deep easy. I bought the saw at a big box store on sale for about 12 dollars. Thanks for the idea. It sure makes it a lot easier

Curt

o

Well more cardboard sawed up with my jig saw. I used a tote with a board across to support the cardboard and not damage the tote as the blade needs to be real close to a solid edge to cut. It is not as good as a band saw but way better than nothing I was able cut up a good sized box into 2x3 inch chunks in short time. Just do it where the fuzz from cutting will not be a problem. Thanks again for the idea.

Curt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here