Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodsworm

to make worm tea or work worm manure into flower beds:

woodsworm
16 years ago

I've been reading the forum off and on for about three years and growing worms in the basement for almost that long. They are fine. Now I have lots of worm manure, a good thing, but I am confused by the conflicting things I have read about using the manure.

I would appreciate some testimonials from folks who have successfully either 1) made worm tea and applied it to plant beds or 2) worked the worm manure into the soil.

I think I have a little gold mine here, and I don't want to waste it. Also I don't want to make more work for myself than I need to.

I am immediately interested in feeding native red honeysuckle (not the invasive stuff) and Carolina jasmine for their fall growth spurt here in the southern piedmont.

Thanks for sharing.

Comments (11)

• sqh1
    16 years ago

The easiest thing to do is top dress the plants with the VC, water in, and mulch.

• raquibird
    16 years ago

Woodsworm: I continue to harvest my beautiful black gold and use it to top dress my vegetables periodically. I've not made worm tea and don't know why that might be better than the straight black - if you know a reason, please let me know.

• denno
    16 years ago

As one who has spent much time this season making compost tea for my veggie garden and trees and bushes, I will take a stab at this question as to why you would make worm tea. I will hope to make my own worm tea whenever my own batch of redworms makes enough castings for me to use like I did the compost. I will put the castings in a paint bag, and put in my air bubblers, in seven gallons of water, (w/molasses to feed bacteria) and after a couple days, I have multiplied the bacteria a hundredfold. This can be used as a foliant spray on my veggies, and the castings from the paint bag can still be worked into the soil around the plants. I believe the results should be as good as when I used compost tea.

• wfike
    16 years ago

"I believe the results should be as good as when I used compost tea."
    -------------
    Actually I think that the results should be better not as good. The worms put the magic in the tea.

• tclynx
    16 years ago

The main reason for making the tea is for situations where you need a spray, otherwise top dressing will be quicker and easier.

• Aubergine Texiana
    16 years ago

what's a paint bag?

• tclynx
    16 years ago

ana53,
    I'm not certain what a paint bag is but I've seen 5 gallon fabric mesh paint strainers. The mesh isn't terribly fine though so some debris would get through.

• denno
    16 years ago

A paint bag was designed to filter globs of paint from the rest, so bumps don't appear where you paint. I started using mesh bags like for onions, but too much of the compost was floating in the tea, which plugs up the water can. So the bag filters it nicely, and doesn't interfere with the bacteria growth. The reason people use 'teas' might be because it's another way to nourish plants effectively. We all composted to build up our soil, but to really get great results sometimes takes years, depending on how good your soil was. So now we have worm castings, and nobody can argue about their increased value over compost as a fertilizer. Through electron microscopes we now really know how plants feed, and it's through the interchange they have with bacteria. And they not only feed through the root system, but also their foliant. My view anyway.

• cat07
    15 years ago

We use both in our garden. When planting, we add castings to the soil, but after that, it's worm tea for several reasons: 1) increases the bacteria and fungi count far more than what you'll get in castings alone, 2) plants feed through their leaves as well as their roots, 3) worm tea also acts as a natural pesticide. FYI, smaller droplets are better (absorbed faster), so use a sprayer if you have one.

• Karchita
    15 years ago

A third option is what I do.

I mix my castings with water and apply it right away. I don't feel I need to aerate and increase the bacteria and fungi in the castings because they are already so rich and my soil is pretty good, but I think it is less work to mix and pour than to topdress and water.

• ymcurry_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

If you soak the worm compost in water. . don't the worms drown? How do you separate the worms from the compost?
    Tks,
    Yve

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022