Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solved my pill bug problem

Posted by wonderpets 7 TN (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 23:55

I've posted on here several times over the past two years or so about about my pill bug infestations. Yes, I know they aren't harmful and do their own part, but I didn't like them and was truly run over by them. At times, it looked like, by weight, I had more pill bugs than worms.

Solution? New bin, new worms, absolutely positively nothing added from the outdoors -- no leaf litter specifically. I put my cucumber bits and tomato pieces from my garden in there of course, I just don't add things that could have the pill bugs in the first place.

My original worms were from freecycle and came with leaves and paper and such as their bedding. What I'm using now came from a local supplier that I'd met at a community farm and observed his worm factory in use. The sheer fact that he had no pill bugs is why I shelled out the cash to get my worms.

Of course, this isn't the solution for everyone. I just wanted to share what ultimately worked for me.

Gena

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solved my pill bug problem

Hi Gena,

Nice solve for the problem I know has vexed you for quite a while.

I guess the key is observation. Like overfeeding, or too much moisture. See, try learn, apply lessons learnt.

Well Done!

Jay

o
RE: Solved my pill bug problem

Thanks for the atta' girl, Jay. The worms are a lot more fun now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here