Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbararose21101

Tea: VC tea, Worm tea, & etc.

barbararose21101
9 years ago

I searched for tea recipes first. Twenty seven results, including (probably ) TMI about molasses. Tim Wilson, the guy with the microscope, uses molasses . . . and lots of air. I had to read a lot both here and on The Logical Gardener, to learn that probably one aquarium pump and small airstone is not enough air for a 5 gallon bucket. If I have the "math" right, Tim seems to recommend a cup of Blackstrap molasses for a 5 gallon bucket.

The more modest arrangement ( one pump to 5 gal bucket) does make a "hard boil" which is what Ingam described as a goal. Since some say simply stir, there are lots of experiences and opinions.

Chuckiebtoo's routine in gallons is comparable proportion wise to Tim's -- near as I can tell. His, or similar advice should IMO stay near the top of the page and easy to find, because (I assume) we want to offer as good advice as we can on a highly variable topic.

Also I read & have been told that commercial Worm Tea is usually what is called "leachate" on this forum. Sometimes it is chemically stabilized and not comparable to Aerated Vermicompost Tea.

Tim wants Tea to be renamed Microbial Extrapolation !
That would at least reduce confusing it with commercial leachate.

CB2: Do you want to re post your recipe/advice
IF/AS IF it were a five gallon bucket ?
(Which , I think, is more common than using shoe boxes and gallon jugs.)

Comments (5)

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

Amazing that you thought about re-posts of tea stuff because as I was reading your post....before I got to that part....I decided I probably ought put that stuff back up.

I decided that when you mentioned the "cup of molasses". In case someone tries that before I get everything posted, DON'T USE A CUP OF MOLASSES!! You gotta use the foodstuff for the biology the process is producing as it is growing (a little at a time), and not a whole cup in total anyway.

Anyway, since I'm brewing AVCT pretty much continuously right now, I may just add some new stuff to some of the re-posts.

chuckiebtoo

M, D, P, Denial Rebuker

• barbararose21101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably I did the "math" wrong. Formulas fry my circuits.
    I agree that a cup is too much for a 5 gallon bucket -- if for no other reason than cost. There seems to be a relationship between microbe density, food (molasses or ?? ) , and air.
    So the percent (ratio ?) of actual castings to the VC would make a difference in microbe density in the aerating bucket.
    Holding my breath for your recipe for a 5 gallon bucket ; )

• smdmt
    9 years ago

Would love to see chuckiebtoo's updates!!

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

First, the reasons I switched from 5 gal pails to 1 gallon milk jugs:

1. I can brew 5-1 gallon jugs at a time...or less, if I want to. (Sometimes I just keep brewing continuously)

2. Because aeration bubbles are vertical, aerating a milk jug with 2 aquarium pump hoses disburses the O2 thoroughly thruout the brew. With a 5 gal bucket, it's harder to spread the bubbles evenly. (If I had 10 hoses in a 5 gal bucket, it would be difficult to have them spaced evenly) BTW, I don't use tea "bags", or O2 diffusers.

3. During the brewing process, I can take the hoses out, put a cap on the jug, and shake it up a little.

4. I COULD brew 5 jugs by staggering the start times (hence finish times). This is really useful if you wanna quit for awhile...or a couple of whiles.

BTW, I used the aquarium pumps to de-chlorinate the H2O for tea production but also for my wife to water her plants with.

Just started the brews in the pic @10AM. Tea time @10 tomorrow....

cb2

• CarlosDanger
    9 years ago

Wow cb2, the response to your post on teas has had some overwhelming response. I think you may be onto something about the forum getting a little bit stale. Or dis-interesting. Or obsolete.

Anyway, I've decided to try to brew some teas in gallon jugs soon.

carlosdanger