Houzz Logo Print
barbararose21101

M O (Micro orgoranisms )

barbararose21101
9 years ago

. . . from the Garden Professors:

Posted: 19 Sep 2014 12:23 PM PDT

begin quote

Okay . . . this bit of research just blew my mind.

Researchers took leaf samples from just ONE tree in Panama, and identified over 400 different kinds of bacteria making their home there. Sampling 57 different tree species, the total number of bacteria types ballooned to over 7,000. You can read more about the study here.

A few trees. A nearly inconceivable number of microorgansims

That's a lot. I love this kind of research because it just reinforces how LITTLE we know about this world we live in. Our world is filled with a massively diverse microbiome that we know virtually nothing about. Research is ongoing, and hopefully in the coming years we'll begin to understand more about how these unseen organisms influence the world we live in. I'll be fascinated to learn more.

In the mean time, any mention of microorganisms in a gardening context instantly raises questions of the efficacy of products containing (supposedly) beneficial fungi and/or bacteria for our soil. The huge, barely understood diversity of bacteria living in every aspect of our world is a good indication of why the research on adding specific microorganisms to soil generally show no impact, or only an impact in certain specific circumstances. This stuff is complex, and we're just barely beginning to learn about it. Hopefully in the future we'll begin to learn how to manipulate the microorganisms that live with our plants, but I wouldn't expect it to happen over night. Right now, I'm just following the basic rule of adding organic matter to my soil to make a good home for the organisms that live there, and following the research as it opens a window to this unseen world all around us.

end quote
posted 7:30 Sunday morning PNW . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical tree microbiome

Comments (5)

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

Speaking of things that will blow ones mind:

100 TRILLION!!! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora

This has little to do with the thread other than to fortify your posts' example of how woefully we understand it all. Or any of it.

chuckiebtoo

Moderation, Patience, Diversity, Stupidity Awareness

• pskvorc
    9 years ago

Keep those cards and letters coming in, Barbararose! I MEAN it! The following is NOT directed at you in any way, shape, or form.

The skeptic in me has several questions, but those aside, I 'wonder' about the choice of words used here. I think the choice was 'for effect'. Here is what I am referring to (dangling a participle and all): "Just ONE tree... and identified over 400 kinds (emphasis mine), of bacteria." The interesting choice of words: Not "species", but "kinds". I don't even know what that means in the context of a "research" paper.

Bacteria are just about at the "bottom" of the "living things" kingdom. Even among bacteriologists, there is enormous debate about when one bacteria species "morphs" into another. So... I am skeptical/unimpressed with "400 kinds" of bacteria, just as I am unimpressed with 7000. My response is mostly, "So what?" So "we" don't know every place every bacteria on the planet inhabits. I'm inclined to a response of "duh". This "amazement" with "our" level of ignorance is a patent-able illustration of the "buy in" to the "religion" of science that is PURPORTED to have "all the answers" and when "we" (the priests of science) find something "new", everyone, (but not everyone), stands around "wowing" about how "fascinating" the natural world is. The real amazement should be the amazement that the discovery is "amazing".

"We" are PROFOUNDLY ignorant of the world around us; even the priests of science! The arrogance of how "smart" or even knowledgeable "we" are is stupefying!

I am slapped in the face with the arrogance of "science" every time there is "amazement" at some new "discovery". And I am depressed by the fastest growing religion on the planet - "science".

Paul

• barbararose21101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In My Experience, it is difficult to know a lot (about something) and to attempt to communicate with some one or folks in plural, who know little (about the subject that's on the table) and, often, could care less.

Just guessing, I think it keeps some wise people quite silent.

Therefore I forgive or tolerate the arrogance we are experiencing from the garden professors and, I think, Ingham.
    It is tiring to Know It All and live among people who seem to know Nuttin ! There are and have been a few saints who were very wise and accepting of human imperfection. But again, my impression is that they tended to be quiet.

How I deal with this personally is to make Learning my priority.
    If I have to accept some condescension to learn something I want to know, I'll take it. Fortunately, I tend to be greedy about wanting to know stuff. If it is a long term connection, I might lobby for more respect. Otherwise I just lump it.

I'm not advising. Just reporting. IMO Rants are fun and often informative. ; )

• pskvorc
    9 years ago

I do not share your tolerance for arrogance, Barbararose, even when gagging down that arrogance is the 'cost' of 'education'. In my opinion, there is NO excuse for arrogance.

"Not talking" to the "unwashed" is one option, but I consider that a form of arrogance in most but not all cases. (In some cases its just an inability to communicate effectively.) If one has been BLESSED by education, followed by experience, leading to knowledge, and one CHOOSES to keep that knowledge to oneself because talking to the "ignorant" is "tedious", that's lazy and arrogant. SHAME on "them".

I have spent most of my adult life in the professional scientific 'arena'. It has ALWAYS been my attitude that the GIFT of education, experience, and knowledge, come with the OBLIGATION to share that knowledge with those less FORTUNATE with respect to education and experience. "Those" folks are NOT less "smart", they are less fortunate. There but for the grace of God go I.

Among the moments of my professional career that I cherish most are those few comments by "regular folks" that offered me sincere thanks for TAKING THE TIME AND MAKING THE EFFORT to explain technically and scientifically complex issues in ways those not technically and scientifically trained could understand.

The expression "ivory tower" didn't come about by "accident", and it is more apropos today than it has EVER been.

I am one of "those" that does indeed withhold my knowledge from "some". Want to know 'who' that "some" is? The arrogant. I have a PILE of research in my fields of professional endeavor that will not be published until I am dead. Why? Because of the arrogance and corruption of the scientific community as a whole. And it isn't "a few bad apples". The TRUTH is, there are only a few good "apples". Sadly, lay people look to "their" scientific advisors just like they look at "their" politicians: "MINE is "honest". It's all those OTHER politicians (or scientists or lawyers, or whatever "expert" they "love") that are the liars." The VAST majority of the scientific community is corrupt (meaning they perpetrate scientific fraud, OR they look the other way when they observe it, WHICH IS JUST AS BAD), AND arrogant.

The bottom line for me is simply this: Arrogance pisses me off in all its overt and passive forms.

Paul

• barbararose21101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fair enough. But don't die.
    Ignoramuses ( like me ) need you.

This isn't false humility -- just acknowlegement of what I don't know, would like to learn, and sometimes am slow to grasp.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES