Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhrdls

After harvesting the bin...

nhrdls
9 years ago

Greetings,

I harvested my bin for the for the first time. This bin was setup sometimes in April/May time frame. Got five pounds of castings. Towards bottom of the bin, it was moist (but not web) 4 inches thick layer of mud like substance. It was thick and not crumbly as I have read in many posts. Worms were comfortable travelling through it as there was always some traffic between two bins through this layer. I have returned unfinished material and some of castings back to bin.

I have one of those multi bin system where bottom bin is collector bin.

How do you minimize the number of worms in harvested material? It looked like many of those worms did not want to go to bottom of the pile even though pile was in shade. I did two passes on collecting worms from harvest but believe there are still many worms

I noticed some of the worms (not all) are balled up at the bottom bin. It looks like worms are stressed out with the change.

What can I do more to avoid the discontent. I have tried to restore environment as much as possible.

Comments (5)

• armoured
    9 years ago

Depending on the bin set-up, thicker, mud-like stuff at the bottom is nothing wrong - it's just wetter. Somebody suggested just turning the bin over into another and that stuff will dry out.

As for getting all the worms out, speaking personally, I wouldn't stress about it - there's always some. As you establish your 'new' bin, they'll make more.

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

"Even tho the the pile was in shade" . . . ?
    Harvesting uses either light or some sort of mechanical sifting.
    Put harvesting in the search box.
    Also watch YouTube videos about vermicompost harvesting.

Can you get some burlap ? IMO that's a gentle and slow method. You do something else while the worms crawl away from light, dive through the burlap to a new bin below.

There are faster methods, aka trommels, of all sizes and complexity.

How you harvest depends on what you can make work with your preferences, skills and . . . imagination. I think it helps to realize that it doesn't quite happen by itself.

Let us know what you end up doing with subsequent harvests.
    I'd like to see a picture of your bin.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I do as barbara mentioned. I have another bid ready, and lay the burlap on top of that. I spread some compost and worms over the burlap and go have a coffee. When I come back I scoop up the compost and check for any stray worms, put it in my compost bucket and then lay out another layer of worms and compost.

• laurenspetworm
    9 years ago

I too just had my first harvest and it still is not done. I continue to pick cocoons out and baby worms from the castings. I do not have the heart to let the soil dry.
    Similar to your burlap idea, I put the bin to to harvested on top of the current working bin under a light and that helped me a lot.
    I also heard leaving the burlap between the bedding and food while the bin is worked may also be a great help to catch both worms and cocoons. I plan on trying it as soon as i get my hands on burlap.
    On another note, I am having so much fun with my pets. I love getting down and dirty and worm watching, not that they like me as much I do them, but they have grown in numbers! I started with 1000 red wigglers and one bin and now 4 months later have 2 full bins, 1 that is 1 month old started with a couple hundred worms and another I just started last week. I try different feeds in the bins and play around to see what my worms like the best. So far it has been rice and corn on the cob.. ohh dont forget they love manure.

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

That's the spirit !

Are you reading old posts ?
    Want me to recommend particular threads ?

I put the latest scoop of cocoons between layers of burlap
    so I could watch & maybe photograph the hatchlings.

I looked and couldn't find my picture of cocoons in a strainer.
    C'est la vie. And it won't be on this laptop even if I saved it.
    Details on request but may not be particularly interesting.