Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbryce_gw

Becomng a vermi again

sbryce_gw
9 years ago

A couple of years ago I gave away my three worm bins because of the fungus gnats, escaping psuedoscorpions and worms. I live in an apartment, and I didn't want problems with the management. I decided that if/when I buy a house, I will start a new bin. Well, I am moving at the end of October, and just placed an order for a pound of EFs. I have a home built RM bin bedded with shredded cardboard for them with watermelon rind waiting for them to feast on. Next week I will be a wormer again.

Comments (7)

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They sent my worms out today. I didn't expect them to ship until Monday. I guess they figured they would arrive before the weekend.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

I just looked up what psuedoscorpions are - I've never heard of them before. Did they come with your worms? Are they native to USA? Hmm, need to research more . . . you've intrigued me.
    I wish I could worm farm. I have a house, but the kids would never leave them alone, and I also have a bad memory of a good worm farm gone wrong - my family tried it when I was a kid. They drowned from storm water, somehow, when they were under cover and had drainage. It was disgusting and stunk terribly and it made me feel so so horrible. I just leave them alone in the ground now.
    Good luck worm farming! You can send me castings anytime!!! ;-D

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh! Congratulations!

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had the worms for about a year and a half before the psuedoscorpions showed up. They must have come in with something I put in the bin. I have not been shy about taking things from outside to use as bedding or food (fallen leaves, fruit that dropped off a tree, horse manure picked up off a riding trail, that sort of thing.)

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I'm so happy for you Sbryce!! Please be careful that you don't get fungas gnats etc etc, I don't want you to no be worming again.

A few years ago I held a workshop in the community room of our large apartment bldg. A couple of the attendees were superintendents of an apt' bldg and I asked if I would be in trouble by having worms. They said absolutely not.

Where we are now, the owners were in fixing something and she saw my worm bin. It's clearly marked "Worms eat Garbage" with a picture of a worm. She said that she tried composting using worms once, and it was a fail. She knew that they aren't any trouble, so obviously didn't mind me having them. Plus I gave them a bin of compost for their garden. They also shared a piece of their garden with us as well as some of their produce this summer!

• 11otis
    9 years ago

Happy to hear that. Congrats!

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The worms just arrived in great shape from Swan's Organics. They were only in transit for a couple of days. This time I don't see any mites, but there are some fungus gnats that came with the shipment. Oh, well. I have dealt with them before.

They are on top of their bedding. The peat moss they came in has been sprayed down to get it wet, and there is a light on over them. Hopefully, they will find their way down to the watermelon rind that is waiting for them in their new home.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz