Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Newspaper bad?

Posted by takadi (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 12:43

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=793&bhcd2=1221669272

In the article above, the author addresses supposed myths and claims newspaper and cardboard are more toxic and dangerous than most people think. Are what he/she says true or just hype?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Newspaper bad?

"newsprint is bleached, creating cancer-causing dioxins"

OH Brother!
Paper hasn't been bleached with chlorine bleach for around 30 years. These days pulp mills use Oxygen bleach, same stuff as color safe laundry bleach.

The only way for there to be dioxins in newspaper nowadays is if they are still recycling old newspaper from back when they did bleach with chlorine. Or its imported from a country that still uses chlorine. Paper is heavy and expensive to transport. Newspaper is the cheapest ( least processed ) grade of paper. Its cheaper to make our own.

As for the rest of his tirade i snorted my coffee when he claimed that newspaper has no nutritional value for plants.
However, it is true that paper has no nutritional value for PEOPLE.


 o
RE: Newspaper bad?

the guy obviously doesn't have much understanding of the compost process or the cycling of nutrients in nature .... but fosteem, the pulp bleaching process has, and still does release dioxins into the environment, he didn't say they were in the paper .... many mills currently use a Chlorine Dioxide process that's only somewhat better than previous processes

in addition, he's correct in saying paper/cardboard [carbon] have no nutritional value for plants, their value is as fuel for microbes ["carbohydrates"], which is the part he appears to not understand - soil microbiology

there's nothing "toxic" about paper or cardboard, they're just carbon rich materials quite the same as sawdust or dry brown leaves

Bill


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here