Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peat Humus??

Posted by reddogworms LA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 12:52

I plan to raise African nightcrawlers in Rubbermaid bins. Can I use peat humus as the primary bedding? I see a lot of talk about peat moss, but not much about peat humus. Here is a link to the humus I am interested in:

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=3516522&store=2596&view=detail&nValue=SEARCH

Thanks a lot in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peat Humus??

That link doesn't take me anywhere.

o

Just curious, wouldn't they like newspaper & cb bedding?

Here is a link that might be useful: Peat Moss vs. Peat Humus

o

Otis is anti-peat! Haha!

Peat humus is the same as peat moss, just more decomposed - harvested from the bottom of the bogs (peat moss is at the the top of the bog). I've never dealt with it but I'd imagine it has an even finer grain than moss,

You certainly can use peat humus as the primary bedding. Just know that it adds almost zero resources to the final vermicompost product. Also, it has no nutritional value to the worms so you'll need a good source of food because that's all they are going to eat.

Usually the worms eat the bedding in addition to your feed, and they'll eat the peat too, but not get anything out of it.

I'm a fan of the peat, and using it alone as bedding won't harm the worms but the end product won't be as robust as if you mixed something with it like cardboard, newspaper, poop, leaves, or whatever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here