Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pskvorc

You Can Read a Newspaper Through It...

pskvorc
9 years ago

Immediately admitting guilt of using a "cute" but not particularly informative title to the thread.

It is common that folks within a given community develop both jargon, (from Webster: special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand.) and a common understanding of topics and "things" that are widely understood by those within the community. Not only is that frustrating to those new to the community, it also makes it difficult to transfer information and ideas outside of the community or within the community to those new to the community. In the spirit of minimizing that phenomenon, I offer the follow PICTURES with the attendant "A picture is worth a thousand words" aphorism.

The above are pictures of what is left of watermelon rinds that I put in my indoor bins a while back - maybe a couple of weeks. This is the skin I have gotten from previous melon additions, plus this is what I get when I put tomatoes in the bins. While I am certain that left for a longer time, "things" in the bins would break this down as well, I find it interesting that the worms are "done" with the melon rind when this is all that is left.

So now, those new to the forum can be referred specifically to this thread to see what melon rind 'skin' looks like after being 'worked over' by worms, as opposed to be told "go read the archives if you want that information".

I also find interesting the 'rulers' we choose to use when we want to convey quantitative ideas. I think most of us have heard expressions something like "It was so thin you could read a newspaper through it", and "those spy satellites can read a newspaper from outer space", etc. Unfortunately, I didn't have a newspaper handy when I took these pictures as I don't subscribe to one. So I used a "suitable substitute" - an unsolicited copy of Better Homes and Gardens". I thought it apropos.

By the way, in the bins, these 'skins' were completely transparent. As I walked them from my garage to my house to take the pictures, they 'dried out' and became more, but not completely, opaque. I wetted them to return them to the translucency they had in the bins. Also, they are more fragile than they look. At least as they look to me.

Paul

Comments (4)