Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are worm bins supposed to be loose?

Posted by Celbrise none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 14:01

some say worms don't like compacted bins. my bin is somewhat compact because majority of it was made from semi finished compost that i added more bedding too i was wondering if i need to fluff up my pile or will the worms be fine? they seem to have no problem in general they have not tried to crawl out since i added a sealed lid.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are worm bins supposed to be loose?

Whether or not the bin is compacted, the important thing to ask is whether or not there is enough oxygen available to them. You may not be able to add as much feed at any given moment in a compacted bin than you would in a bin that still retains more air space. As the microbiological decomposition of the organic matter will quickly deplete what little oxygen is left in a compacted bin. So, adjust the type, amount and frequency of feed according to the overall condition of the bin. There are many good books but you'll find that learning through experience and through the experience of others in this community is the best resource.

o
RE: are worm bins supposed to be loose?

i think their is enough air i mean i have not seen any worms escape except for one time but that was because i didn't have a cover on the bin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here