Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding Worms

Posted by ughman NW Washington (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 14:37

I have a good working worm bin now. I have been feeding the worms mostly veggie scraps and coffee grounds. My question is will worms do well with the non food parts of vegetable plans such as, carrot tops, broccoli stalks etc. I have such an abundance of this material and up to now I have been using them in my other compost pile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding Worms

They will, but it will take a long time for them to break down so they can eat them. From my experience their food has to be like mush before they can eat it. I would be concerned with the stink factor of the broccoli.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 0:18

You could try cutting the larger pieces up and mushing them up using a blender.

o

Actualy , worms eat very little if any vegitable. They consume the micro organisims that grow and feed on decaying veg/plant material. Moving from fruit and melon that is quickly ingulfed by micro critters and become worm food to course stalks you metioned which are slower to decay,you increasinly need to chop and/or age the food. Most things are helped with the process when frozen then thawed. When temps are 100F+,I might place the frozen food in a hole lined with bedding and cover it with more bedding. If you can stand the sight and odor,the worms wil do ok if food is stored in a container where it spoils and molds. Like you,I put excess fruit and veggies in compost. When that compost nears being finished and I don't need it right then,it is often placed in a bin where it serves as both food and bedding.

o

I have taken a mix of broccoli , celery , carrots , etc. and run them thru a juicer and put that pulp in a canister for a few days until it molds a bit then I feed it to them. At that point it will smell but after putting it in the bin and and covering it up it does not smell at least not for long as the worms will soon devour it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here