Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe I am becoming an addict

Posted by smalltowngal (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 15:12

So today, I started on my 4th bin. I thought I would at least get some cardboard and food scraps in it so they could start decomposing and I could add worms to the bin in a month. I'm trying to do the least amount of work I can and just throwing in large pieces of cardboard, whole tp and paper towel rolls and some drink carriers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe I am becoming an addict

Welcome to the club. As soon as a few experimental bins finish up, I'm going to consolidate my wormeries. hehe..at least that's the plan.

You may already have done this, but I find it best to soak the paper products you mentioned in a bin of water (throw in a handful of VC) for 12-24 hrs. After a quick wringing, it's very easy to tear them up.

Andrew

o
RE: Maybe I am becoming an addict

I like to keep the paper products dry and line the bottom of the bin with them. I alternate the coffee trays to put a nice air space. TP rolls I stand on end with them all in one corner. The food's job is to wet the paper products. The paper products job is to absorb the food moisture so the bottom of the bin stays not mucky and also to help air move to the bottom of the bin. The worms job is to tear up the paper products. Or more specificially the wee beasties tear up the paper products and then the worms eat the wee beasties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here