Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuckiebtoo

Kelly: An ounce of prevention...& microscopic crabs?

chuckiebtoo
18 years ago

An ounce of prevention is worth 150 billion ounces of cure.

Kelly: I just waded thru another bin which was in ideal condition, with lots of cocoons, and great looking worms along with the usual assortment of critters...both alien and otherwise...because it was, overnight, overrun with ants. Although I know the things won't do any harm ("they" say), I decided to divide out some worms and eggs to make an indoor bin for the winter.

Knowing most of the critters on a first name basis, the one exception is a little red crab-like creature with a fair sized set of pincer-looking teeny tiny crab claws. They have a white stripe on their little backs, and some of them seem to have a white bumper around their posterier.

Unless these are of another solar system posing as crabs, which was my first thought when I saw several of them marching in formation, can you give me any idea of what on earth they are?

I bet the idiot who lives next door a six pack of cold Miller Lite that you would know. If they are not of this world, don't worry about it because I need a good excuse to drink a few tall ones with a guy who still believes I was lying to him about my close encounters with both the poop powered UFO AND a convoy of Mexican military vehicles and soldiers headed toward the Alamo yesterday.

Chuckiebtoo

Comments (15)

• Kelly_Slocum
    18 years ago

While I hate being party to the torture of another human through the application of ::shudder:: Miller Lite, I believe I do know what that critter is. What you're describing sounds like a pseudoscorpion:

{{gwi:1340882}}

These tiny arthropods are cousins to the larger, more readily recognized scorpion species, but lack the stinger of their larger family members. They are tiny predators in the worm bin, and are common to healthy systems.

Not aliens this time, Chuckie, but don't let that stop you from enjoying a nice cold one... just make it a decent cold one!

Kelly S

• swampboogiequeen
    18 years ago

Impressive Kelly!

• MKitten
    18 years ago

Kelly,

While I enjoy a Fat Tire, I want to make sure you've also tried Shiner Bock. I'm sure Chuckie has tried it. The reason I bring it up is because I really missed it when I left Texas but happily see it every now and again even up here in the PNW.

Mariann

• Kelly_Slocum
    18 years ago

Mariann, I'll have to see if I can find some as I have not tried it.

Thanks for the tip!

Kelly S

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

eee! we took our first pics of pseudoscorpions today! theyre almost cute.

Nematodes, mites, earwigs, pillbugs, maggots (several flavors!), and WORMS!

I decided to do some sorting today- some of my seedlings say they could use a boost.

and although, for lite beer, I do like miller, I have Widmer Hefewitzen and lemon in the fridge

• chuckiebtoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've told everyone who ever asked about plunging into the bin to do so. Without inspecting the contents of it, understanding what's being done right, or wrong, seeing the eco-system and all the other critters in there, a wormer is flying a little on the blind side.

On the other hand, lots of folks just leave it alone and the worms maintain.

Go figure.

Chuckiebtoo

• chuckiebtoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, by the way, Kelly, that IS what it is. I am consistently amazed with your responses to our pitifully inadequate questions which you, somehow, supply the correct answer to.

Now, about your distaste for Miller Lite...as a member of the elite class of beer drinkers world-wide, I am wondering what brew you do. Domestic or what?

BTW, I had to change the subject line to comply with some arcane rule.

Chuckiebtoo

• swampboogiequeen
    18 years ago

I do well with RED HOOK BLONDE. We have a keg always on tap. However, I usually drink wine, cheap variety, but not quite thunderbird, I prefer Meridian. I'm in California, so I try to stay somewhat local

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

$2 Chuck!

the only thing is its hard to eat snacks while wormin- what with all the castings caked on :-)

• Kelly_Slocum
    18 years ago

Garnetmoth, are you able to share your psuedoscorpion pictures with us?!? I'd love to see them! I admit, I was vermicomposting for probably six years or so before I found my first psuedoscorpion in my own bin. Prior to that I'd only seen them in pictures. Like you, I was SO excited! Now I find them with some regularity. I wonder where they had been hiding for those first six years...

Nearly everyone, regardless of their comfort level with vairous species and kingdoms of wildlife, has at least one critter with which they are uncomfortable. Despite my genuine love of bugs, my nemesis is scorpions. I just can't get comfortable with the things. Now, psuedoscorpions do not bother me at all,rather, like you, Garnetmoth, I think they're kinda cute, but their larger cousins are another matter all together. They just creep me out!

And Chuckie, the quality of an answer to a forum post is often relative to the quality of the question. One of the things I most like about this site is the intelligent questions, and the fact that folks here are critical thinkers rather than blind followers. They question conventional wisdom, regardless of its source, and seem to be more interested in WHY something is done rather than blindly following "rules" for vermicomposting they may have read elsewhere. You, in fact, are chief among those who continually question, not from ego or a contrary nature, but because you seem more interested in knowing the basis for system management recommendations than the recomendations themselves. You and most of those who frequent this site seem more interested in LEARNING and UNDERSTANDING than in regurgitating someone else's facts. I admire that more than you likely know!

And Garnetmoth, my hubby is a wine connoiseur with an educated palet and expensive taste. Me? I'm more a Boone's Farm kinda girl. Educated palet?!? Not in the least! Roy won't hesitate to spend upwards of $150 on a bottle of wine that I can't get past my nose, let alone into my mouth! He has much more sophisticated taste than I. Fortunate that we meet over a good microbrew or a high quality cup of coffee!

Kelly S

• swampboogiequeen
    18 years ago

I'm covering my wallet in pain over 150 a bottle! I just did my first self made bin! Put on the Paris Hilton eye protection and broke the drill out on a 25 gal roughneck tote. No drainage holes though. Any last words before the worms move out of their Wriggly ranch into the roughneck?

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

The Mr. says he'll upload the scoprion pics tomorrow.

im not much for wines, at least not enough to care if theyre over $10 a bottle or so ;-)

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

Finally!

heres the one pic I can make out kinda OK. the scorp is walking with an eggpouch in the center of the picture , above the last line of castings. (Above the pillbug)

mmmm, tiny animals!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• teenee65
    18 years ago

I canNOT even look at that first picture above - eeewwww! Are these specific disgusting things in only particular states? I'm scared - here in Texas, everything is bigger here, donuts, people, cukarochas, spiders...everything! So that means - oh man, they're gonna be huge out here!
    :)
    Tina

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

I loved getting out of the car in the i40 rest stop (near amarillo?) warning you to stay on the path, poisionous snakes and insects!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living