Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadeite_z7

how do you tell if the bin is overcrowded?

jadeite
11 years ago

I'm about 6 months into vermicomposting, and have my first harvest. I'm using standard RM, with a solid bin below, and a vented bin above. I think they're about 20 gal size. I started with 3lbs of red wigglers.

When I sorted through the first bin, harvesting the compost and transferring the worms to the second bin, I had LOTS of wigglers. I moved all of them, but now I wonder if the second bin is too crowded. How would I tell?

The second bin has lots of bedding, and I add mostly fruit and vegetable waste to it regularly. We keep the produce in a bucket for a few days so it is really ripe when it's put into the worm bin. They seem to go through it fairly quickly, but I can't tell if it's enough or not. There's always something not composted. With the amount of torn up cardboard it's hard to tell how many worms there are, but I assume the population has increased a lot. I found no dead worms in the first bin, so I assume they are thriving. The ones I see seem wiggly and fat, with lots of tiny ones together with the long thick worms.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Comments (2)