Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about storing worms overnight

Posted by bluelake 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 18:07

I have someone picking up 2 1/2 lbs. of worms tomorrow and they need to be separated into 3 groups, 1 lb., 1 lb., and the 1/2. I plan to put them in the small plastic coffee 'cans' with the lid on with holes in it. They'll be in this container for about 15 hours. Should I put them in the refridgerator or will they be fine just sitting out until he picks them up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about storing worms overnight

How hot or cold will it get? Will they be exposed to sunlight?

If the temps don't go below freezing, and not above 90 F, and the cans are not exposed to sunlight so that they heat up, they should be OK outside.

o

Can't you just bring them in the house? I separate my worms as well, and sometimes they are around for a day before they get picked up. I live in an apartment, and it's not like they'll escape.

o

LOL, they're in the house on the kitchen ledge in approx. 78 deg. temp. right now. Yes, it's warm in here. This was my first time to separate and divide my original 1 lb. and came out with about 2 lbs. This pound was bought at the end of May. I wasn't impressed with the size of them though. Many were juvies, and much more were of reproduction age and there were cocoons.

I had to pull from my other bin to get more worms in the cans. I did include some of their own VC as well as some new bedding.

o

Unless they're Alabama Jumpers, I wouldn't refrigerate them.

Deanna

o

What species are Alabama jumpers? And how do they respond to vermiculture? (Just looking for another species to try out.)

Pat

o

My mistake. It's not Alabama Jumpers that need refrigeration, it's Canadian Nightcrawlers (Lumbricus terrestris). They're not suitable for vermiculture, but they are used for fishing.

I don't know anything about Alabama Jumpers (Pheretima Hawayanus), except that they're large, very wiggly, and are used for fishing.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here