Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celbrise

can you keep vermicompost uncovered?

Celbrise
11 years ago

i have a 5gal bucket i am composting in and it's uncovered in my room and the surface often gets dry during the day. i know i have a single worm in that bucket and im trying to keep it alive just to help with composting and in hopes it will lay eggs or theirs more worms but i highly doubt it.

anyways is it a good idea to keep it uncovered like this? the middle for sure is moisture and i often spray the surface with water and check it's moist.

Comments (4)

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

Covered or uncovered is fine. In an uncovered bin, the top will not decompose as fast.

Odds are that you have more than 1 worm. in a month or two you will may see more worms.

• colin3
    11 years ago

You need at least two worms for eggs -- they're hermaphrodites, but you still need more than one. If you want to start, I'd really suggest getting at least a few hundred red wrigglers and letting them go at it.

• Celbrise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no i doubt i have more then 1 as this pile is indoors and their is no way i could of gotten more then 1 unless it is pregnant or something.

and yes i know i need more then 1 for eggs. i was just composting in the bucket and saw the one worm so i thought i'd keep it alive and see what happens. i will eventually be buying some worms maybe next month

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

It is also possible to peek into an outdoor kitchen compost bin and find some for free. Maybe not 1,000 but maybe 100.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996