Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babcia_gw

Too much nitrogen?

babcia
9 years ago

I use vermicomposting in my vegetable garden. This year I had giant broccoli plants with no edible flowers.

Does worm compost produce too much nitrogen? May I should put it into my regular compost instead of directly in the gardens

I plan to have a soil test done, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Comments (7)

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Whether worm compost has too much nitrogen depends on how much nitrogen, relative to carbon, you put in the bin. Worms can consume and break down the organic mater in the bin, but they cannot change the structure of the atoms that make up the organic matter.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Subscribed ! I want to hear more.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

Whoa. This is what happens when we let well educated people post on worm poop boards. I feel like Lois Lane when she found out who Clark Kent really was. Now you have me all excited. Sorta took off the glasses there sbryce. If we are talking about the "structure of the atoms" that make up vermicastings can I beg a penny for your thoughts on the "Mucus type substance coated on each particle that increases aeration in the soil provides excellent water retention properties and improves the drainage in heavy soils." *1 I think I remember chuckiebtoo once or many times posting something different but in essence similar to "Earthworms excreta (vermicast) is a nutritive ‘organic fertilizer’ rich in humus, NKP, micronutrients, beneficial soil microbes - ‘nitrogen-fixing and phosphate solubilizing bacteria’ and ‘actinomycets’ and growth hormones ‘auxins’, ‘gibberlins’ and ‘cytokinins’. Both earthworms and its vermicast and body liquid (vermiwash) are scientifically proving as both ‘growth promoters and protectors’ for crop plants." *2 and "As earthworms are working their way through the top soil they mix humus and mineral particles. They are turning our soils into a sponge-like structure with enormous numbers of small, medium, and slightly larger burrows and pores. This worm created ‘sponge’ stores water, nutrients and air for the plants and other microorganisms to grow. Scientist call this the rhizosphere, where water, nutrient, and air are exchanged between plant roots, microorganism, fungi, clay minerals, groundwater, and the atmosphere." also *2. Plus "Earthworms have a crop and gizzard just like birds where the mix of food is ground down to very small fractions. Bacteria and antibiotics in the worms intestinal tract destroy pathogens, introduce enzymes (which makes the nutrients plant available), produce plant growth promotors, and much more. By now earthworms have created a valuable mix of nutrients, humus, enzymes, plant hormones, bacteria, and fungi while passing through an intestinal passage of only 5 cm. Before the mix is excreted, the ‘casting’ is finally coated with a mucus so it becomes a strong humus-soil aggregate." three for the cost of one *2.

Should we be trying to retain this aspect and not make worm muck? Should we all be working towards individual "puffs" of vermicastings? Is there something in the atoms that speaks to this? I think this coating texture I am looking for in vermicastings is on a molecular or a bit bigger level an advantage to plants. But I do not know why. Maybe I do not need to in order to make nice vermicompost?

For chuckiebtoo's excellent photo of intact vermicastings which look like coffee grounds or cigarette tobacco:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg041310533109.html?1

*1 is: http://betuco.be/compost/Vermicast%20Specifications.pdf

*2 is: http://www.ecocast.co.nz/vermicast

If the gods are with me and my fingers do not accidentally hit delete and the solar flare does not eat my post I will be a happy vermicomposter.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

I sorta post here in order to solve the mystery of are individual vermicasts tiny, little sponges that absorb and bank all the good stuff so that tiny roots and mushroom mycelium can access the good stuff sort of like my computer or my brain right now is accessing this web site? Like an information sharing network.

• babcia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information.

• babcia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information.

• barbararose21101
    9 years ago

from the peanut gallery --

I'd guess the phenomenon was the result of something other than the vermicompost. My first guess would be shade/sun; second guess, variety of broccoli. . . .

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource