Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Piles of paper, is there a better way?

Posted by marauder01 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 20:05

Hi all,

I'm drowning in a sea of junk mail and newspaper here. I guess like many others, use the council recycling bin as much as possible, but I'd love to take care of most of the paper myself.

I can fill more than a large (70lt) garbage bag(tightly packed) with shredded junk mail / newsprint per week. I currently use this as bedding in my Reln Worm Factory, and also layer it in my 2 x 250lt compost bins with kitchen scraps etc., but it's not enough!

Is there a way of optimising a worm setup to take care of large ammounts of paper?

Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Piles of paper, is there a better way?

not unless you have a very large worm setup .... maybe you should try returning the junk mail to it's origins and start a bit of fuss about the excess of it ... and newsprint is actually best recycled, so it can be repulped and reused

Bill

o

Try getting your junk mail cut off. I had mine cut off two years ago and am only now starting to get 3 to 4 junk mail envelopes a week.

Here in the states there are a couple choices.

Direct Marketing Association, registering them is a buck US

Greendimes.com., registering with them is 20 bucks but they keep tabs no your account.

You could use them for mail from the US and you probably have something like it in Canada.

o

I called the phone number of each piece of junk mail sent to me and requested that they stop sending me stuff. I rarely get anything other than the weekly grocery/coupon fliers.

It's free, and only takes a few minutes.

o

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I could use the newsprint straight back to recycling (pulp). No probs. It just seems a shame to waste so much potential! LOL. Perhaps I can reevaluate when (if) I move to a larger scale worm-ery..

I'll try the other methods above too.

Thanks guys
Jay

o

I always figured it's better to have more paper than foodscraps since too much food can cause the bin to go sour and worms can survive on only newspaper or cardboard (don't quote me on the latter, I read it somewhere on here)

o

I like to pull the return envelopes from the junk mail and stuff two or three pieces of ripped up junk mail from different places in it and mail it back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here