Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keeping bin warm

Posted by smwithers NC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 20:42

I'm getting ready to set up my Can O Worms bin this month. Helping a friend sort her worms and she's giving me half to get started. I have a crawl space under the house that I can stand up in. This is where are I am thinking of setting up the bin. I am a little concerned over the temps we have here in winter in NC. I have a light in the crawl space. Thinking of using a flood light with the bin near it to keep the bin the optimal temp. Planning to use a thermometer in the bin to monitor this winter until I get the temp/placement of the bin near the light just right. Anyone else used this same kind of location/warmth for the bin? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keeping bin warm

Is it protected from the wind? I'm guessing the crawl space might get pretty darn cold. They'll stay alive but not active at the bottom of their comfort range. What species are they?

You could try a garden heating mat w/ thermostat under neath to keep them comfortable. It might work better than the light bulb. The light bulb could do the trick in a closed space though. I'd be wary of fire hazard what ever you do. You could insulate w/ straw bales also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat mats

o

I would insulate with insulation. Maybe a water heater blanket that Home Depot was trying to push on me last time I was there.

o

When I was talking to them at Homedepot I was told that a R-19 insulation should do the trick for an outside bin I was thinking of.

o

I live in Raleigh. Although I have a similar crawl space I am going to keep my worms in my garage. Now that my babies are eating, mating and just enjoying themselves I don't want to slow them down.

I have had my bin for a few months and I have no smell or flies, so it passes the wife test.

Good luck...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here