Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help/ideas on constructing a worm bin

Posted by Celbrise none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 21:12

i been vermicomposting well i wouldn't say vermicomposting since their isn't a lot of worms in general just a very slim few.

anyways i been doing it in a 5 gal bucket and i want to move it to a more shallow yet wide container and i got a good one. a cooler an old wooden cooler we never use im not sure if it has a spiget or anything but it's just a regular cooler but wooden.

now i do NOT own a drill so i was wondering is their ANY way i can aerate this bin while leaving the lid on? i don't want to remove the lid and screen it or something i want to modify the lid so i can allow air in.

again i do NOT have access to a drill i would lvoe to drill holes in it to make it easier but i can't don't have money nor neighbors who have one any ideas?

the outside is wood but the cooler itself is the plastic cooler like thing so the wood won't rot or decay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help/ideas on constructing a worm bin

Is this to be indoors or outside?

Why keep the plastic at all?

Yes the wood will rot out over time but wood in good shape to start with will last a few years, longer if it is hardwood.

If you just have a plastic bin and need to put holes in it use a large nail and a hammer and punch holes in it.

o
RE: need help/ideas on constructing a worm bin

it will be an indoor bin. it can't be kept outdoor it will fry the worms it gets too hot outdoors not are their any shaded areas at my house.

it's a wooden cooler. basically you take one of those large plastic white containers build a wooden frame around it and thats how it is. the wood and plastic are fused together with glue most likely it's a beer cooler novelty cooler it's not 2 seperate coolers to begin with it's both plastic and wooden. the frame is wooden the cooler is plastic.

i will try to find a large nail and hammering it in hopefully this works i will try this tomorrow after school i need to make a new worm bin and a bigger one as well

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here