Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do all worms compost?

Posted by Celbrise none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 22:20

do all worms well earth worms that is compost/can be used in vermicomposting or are their certain earth worms that don't actually compost at all?

someone on my other question told me that some worms that i got from the garden could not be good for my compost pile and i also heard someone online say somewhat the same thing. i don't know what worms these are but i wanted to get more so i can start breeding and vermicomposting without buying the worms.

just want to make sure they will even do the job or if i will be wasting my time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do all worms compost?

There are two types of worms: Burrowing worms and composting worms. The answer to your question, yes, they will compost!

You have the burrowing worms (earthworms.) They need soil to live so they need them in their bins/piles, a lot of it. They're not aggressive composters so you'll wait longer to harvest.

The composting worms (red wigglers) are most ideal for the bins because they don't need soil and they're aggressive composters. You'll harvest sooner than burrowing worms.

Normally, the composting worms are for the bins, and the burrowing worms are for outdoor compost piles (right on fields so worms can enter the pile from under.) But people around here have broken that unspoken rule. Some managed the bin with burrowing worms (with dirt for bedding), and some added red wigglers into outdoor compost piles. Both do just fine if managed properly.

o
RE: Do all worms compost?

oh man my bin is pretty much 50/50 of each. this must explain why the worm is mainly at the surface only. it could be a composting worm though as i didn't find it deep in the soil.

i guess i will see where we go from here i can always build up my bin with soil/w.e.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here