Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it better to chop up food scraps?

Posted by Celbrise none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 22:54

just wondering is it better to drop up food scraps/blend it up or simply just feed to the worms whole? i usually feed it whole and it doesn't decompose fast enough maybe after a week it starts growing mold but it still smells and pretty much looks like what it is besides the color.

just wondering what other people do i mean i see people blend it up and all that i see some people don't just wondering if their is a better way then what i am doing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it better to chop up food scraps?

The finer the material is chopped/blended the more surface area it has and the faster it decomposes. Worms feed on the products of decomposition (mold, etc) not the original material.

Personally I also chop up food scraps to make it easier to 'pocket feed' in my RubberMaid bin.

o

For what it's worth I always chop the food into small pieces.

o

i guess i will start blending the food up them. i have been feeding whole the little worms i got which is only like 3 worms atm and after a week i still find this slightly black banana peel still as big as day 1 -.-"

o

The general rule of thumb is worms eat half their body weight in food a day. So for three worms.....

So you're not going to have a problem with food not rotting quickly enough to feed three worms :).

Anyway, I chop large food into smaller chunks just so I can fit them into a container in the freezer. I've never blended. BTW, red wigglers love sitting between the peels of a banana.

o

1 of my worms ran away doubt it was because of the pile but because i didn't have a lid.

anyways since i now have worms maybe even none idk i don't seen any worms but i see my millipedes they seem to eat the rotting food. i now just blend it up stick it in a container room temp it grows mold pretty fast should break down fast as well which can be very beneficial i just blend it in a food processor saves up space as well.

o

I blend their food, add a touch of molasses, a touch of oatmeal and a touch of alfalfa pellets (all well blended).

I set the blender aside with a lid on it for 2 or 3 days.

Then, I add it to the bin. It is usually gone within 24 hours.

Keeps the bugs down and makes the worms happy.

bon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here