Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
11otis

New method of feeding my worms.

11otis
9 years ago

I p/u way too much juice pulp and it would be nice if I can put more in the bins than regular feeding. That would cut down on feeding frequency. How to prevent overheating and possibility of SOP???
So, here's my first attempt and it has been done 2x. Instead of feeding 2x/week, I am able to cut down to 1x.
Note: This works only with larger bins due to necessity of space.

Filled several 4" nursery pots with pulp (& some ground egg-shell mixed in) and some shredded newspaper at the bottom. Aside from the regular feeding, I buried these pots on their side, placed here & there around the bin. I figured, since only 1 side of the pots are exposed to the bin environment, even if they heat up, it's contained inside the pot. Same goes for the gases. The worms can get to the food when it's safe. The reason for laying them on the side, I figure this way will give the worms easier escape whenever the pot(s) becomes undesirable.
After worm farming for several years now and some decline of health and mobility now and then, I no longer have the "urge" to check on them every day when I couldn't.
After 1 week I checked. The volume of all the pots were down to 1/2 and consist of A LOT OF WORMS plus half processed food. Some VC and bedding stuck to the outside of (some) pots are sort of on the dry side. Proofed there was some heating up.
(This is also a good method to harvest worms)
I emptied the pots into the holes, refilled them and buried them elsewhere. Since the weather is getting colder, I will check on Wednesday which will be 10 days.
If this works, it's a good way to keep the worms fed when one has to be away for 2 weeks or so.

It might also work in smaller bins by using smaller pots I guess.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz