Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clayton_gardener

Bonide

clayton_gardener
14 years ago

Is it ok to use this in my worm bin to control bugs?

Comments (5)

• mr_ed
    14 years ago

The active ingredient in Bonide is a bacteria called "Bacillus Thuringensis". It is naturally occurring in soil and should not harm your worms.

As with all new treatments for my bin, I would use it sparingly at first and make sure there is no negative reaction. I know lots of worm farmers will actually make a second bin to try new food and treatments on so if it does have adverse reactions you do not loose your whole squirm.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

BTi is the same active ingredient that is in mosquito dunks. I tried using BTi in the form of mosquito dunks in one of my bins. The next morning I had a massive escape attempt, and the worms that were trying to escape were pale and bloated. I have a few deaths, but the overall population seems to have recovered.

Based on my experience with mosquito dunks, I would not use BTi in a worm bin.

• clayton_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies, if I try it, I will do a test batch.
    Now on this subject. Is there any pesticide that can be used in a worm bin?

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

Beneficial nematodes. I have some in my bins. The worms are fine. I still have fungus gnats. Some people have had success with them.

• mr_ed
    14 years ago

Clayton:

There are lots of natural treatments out there but most are aimed at a specific pest. What bugs are you trying to control? Going after fruit flies with something targeted at fungus gnats wont work and vice versa; and nothing will work for mites! Also, If your bin is outside then there may be no practical way to remove all "pests".

Keep in mind that overfeeding your bin is the best way to allow a pest to take purchase in your bin and multiply out of control. If you maintain your bin properly the worms should consume the food you feed fairly soon after feeding giving less chance for a pest population to thrive. A thick layer of dry bedding can also limit flying creatures from getting into the bin.

When I started my bin I had a large fungus gnat infestation. I ordered nematodes from Ebay and used them as directed on the package (combine contents of package and water and soak in peat moss). I applied a generous layer of the treated peat moss and then placed about 6 inches of dry shredded newspaper over the top. I did not feed the bin for 3 weeks (I froze the food scraps for later of course) and so far it was a very effective and long lasting treatment. I also treated all houseplants with the left over peat moss and then placed some by sinks where gnats were collecting.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living