Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to tell when worms are sexually mature?

Posted by Celbrise none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 4:28

i have read various posts on how to tell when they are mature enough to mate but none are really specific. some say when the worm has it clitellum ( the band ) some say when the clitellum is is orange and puffy ( bloated .

my worms are still skinny not fully grown that is for sure but they have their clitellum and idk if i can expect cocoons anytime soon or what i mean it's very unclear to me. can anyone actually clear this up? how do you actually tell they are mature to breed.

again my worms are skinny and long yet they have their clitellums already.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to tell when worms are sexually mature?

According to 'worms eat my garbage' which finally came in to my local library, they are mature when they have a clitellum.

Just because they CAN breed doesn't mean they will. Will yours? I don't know. I am sure my worms are breeding because there are 800 more of them than I put in :) but I still haven't seen anything I could definitively id as a cocoon, or seen any mating.

o

thanks for clearing that up always wanted to read that book but sadly no library has it and i don't got the money to buy it atm.

im sure my worms will breed they are red wigglers after all but im not sweating it i just wanted to clear that up since i didn't know how to tell.

o

You can probably find an online source for WEMG, especially if you have a torrent client.

Now that I'm home and can actually check the book, it says an adult worm will produce 2-3 cocoons a week. They take about 3 weeks to hatch, and each cocoon produces 2+ hatchlings. The babies take 8+ weeks to mature.

hope that helps
Ivy

o

<>

Try using a flashlight, that sometimes helps. Once you spot one or two you will know what to look for and should find a bunch of them.

o

Celbrise:
""my worms are skinny and long""
From one of your posts I sort of remember you mentioned you are in Hawaii. When you got your worms, were you specifically told they are EFs? If not they are most likely PE (Hawaian Blue) and their cocoons are really tiny compared to EF's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here