Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nini_treehugger

Identifying my Worms

Nini_TreeHugger
11 years ago

Hi.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me identifying this worm for me. On the next post, I'll try to add in more images since I can only add one image in this one. So I'll describe it instead.

It's about 3 inches in length. Brownish-maroon in colour, becoming yellowish at the end. When I shine a light at certain angle (I don't know if you can see in the image) there is iridescent purplish-blue coloring. The end is rounded. I can't really see the clitellum. It's a bit sluggish but I think it's because it is still new to its new environment.

I bought it along with about 150 of its friends in a bait shop (we don't really have vermicompost worm growers for for small scale vermicomposting in Malaysia, I'm afraid). I bought the same kind of worms from them about one month ago and that batch is thriving well, devouring scraps of vegetables really fast. So I know they're vermicompost worms.

I also have some perionyx excavatus I collected under patches of old cow manure. Those are kinda skinny looking, tapering at both ends and quite lively. Oh and they also have that blue iridescent sheen on them.

So I wonder if this worn in the pic is the African Nightcrawler or a subtype of PE or something else. And also if anyone knows, if there is any other types of non-vermicompost worms with iridescent purple coloring as well. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions