Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vagas

How I built my Tiered Wormary

vagas
16 years ago

Ingredients

4 Stackable Storage tub (I uses 24ltrs) 2.50ea from Asda

1 Storage tub Lid £2.50 from Asda (Asda sells them separately)

1 sheet of fine mesh (I used old net Curtain)

2 house bricks (I found)

500g Dendra Worms and a tub of worm food around £12 including Del (from ebay)

Draft excluding tape (Found in my garage)

2 large handfuls of compost

3 sheets of news paper (tear up the newspaper into strips).

Water tap (Nice but not necessary, I havenÂt)

DO NOT OVERFEED YOU WILL KILL YOUR WORMS

Method:

1. Place the first tub on the floor. Fit the water tape if you are going to use it. Put the 2 bricks inside that tub.

2. Get the second tub Drill 6 holes about an inch in diameter in the bottom of the tub. One in each corner one inch from the side and then 2 in the middle. Just sand paper the edges of the holes just to take off and sharp edges.

3. Place the second tub inside the first and rest it on the bricks. Lay the Mesh or net curtain in the bottom if the tub. This is to stop the worms falling into the bottom tub. So make sure all the holes are covered up. Water still needs to be able to get through. Put the compost and torn up newspaper into a clean bucket (or you can use one of the tubs that you have not used yet). Mix this all together and dampen with water. It should be as damp as a rung out bath sponge (NOT WET). Mix the damped mixture well and add this to your tub, make sure all the holes are still covered. Spread this out all on the bottom.

4. Place the worms on top, leave them for about ten minutes and your worms should have migrated into the compost. Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of the worm food over the soil and paper.

5. Put the lid on and leave for one week. If your lid fits very tight then donÂt bother using the insulating tape. However if flies seem to be getting through add the tape to make it tight.

6. When this Tub is 3/4 full. Drill the same holes into the second tub, place it on top and start filling that up with your scraps. Your worms will start to migrate upwards into the second tub. When this is 3/4 of the way full place the third tub on top with holes in and start filling that up. When this is 3/4 of the way full, most of your worms will be out of the bottom tub because all of the food will be gone. Lift the top 2 tubs off and take the bottom tub out that is filled with Worm castings and put back the other 2 tubs. Empty the first tub and use the casting but place it back in the top and start filling with scraps. Repeat when necessary.

DO NOT OVERFEED YOU WILL KILL YOUR WORMS

Feeding:

Just put a handful of scraps in at a time. Wait until the previous handful has nearly gone before adding more. Try and put in a handfull of shredded paper, either newspaper or shredded junk mail in every couple of times you feed.

In time you will find you can put more in at a time.

Let your scraps decompose for a bit before putting the in. What I do is have a container in your kitchen for a week filling up. Then put it in the frezzer for a week (to kill fly eggs) then leave it in the garage for a week (all with the lid on tight) and then on the third week put it in the wormery.

HowÂs that?

And question, comments or improvement will be appreciated

Paul

Comments (8)

• vagas
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry I also put a newspaper ontop of the soil so that it is dark for the worms

• plantermunn
    16 years ago

Do you have a Picture?

• shyspook
    16 years ago

Thanks Vagas, this is just what I needed! I am in the experimental stage with an order for a Video and worms on the way. I bought 2 black plastic containers from Wal-mart with lock handle lids to start them in. There is only about 2 inches from the bottom if I stack one in the other and I think it needs to be higher, but I don't want to use bricks. I didn't know where to put the holes so your info was very helpful. I think that if I use a foam tape about 1/8th of an inch thick around the second bin, it will keep the bins on top up higher, plus, it will make a pretty good seal. I am anxiously awaiting my 1st pound of worms so that I can begin. My only worry is having enough table scraps to feed the worms. I have an abundance of shredded paper and leafmold, however, right now! Thanks for these instructions, they are tremendously helpful!

• tclynx
    16 years ago

Ripped up corrigated cardboard is a good bedding and food source for worms. You might be suprised at how much scraps you of food you do find you produce. One pound of worms doesn't need to be fed much right at first anyway.

• vagas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi shyspook, thanks, I am glad my post was so helpful.

Quote shyspook: I think that if I use a foam tape about 1/8th of an inch thick around the second bin, it will keep the bins on top up higher, plus, it will make a pretty good seal.

I would not think that foam tape will hold the second tub in place when it is full the higher tub up it will be quite heavy. I would think you will need something inside the first tub ie bricks, wooden blocks.

I do not seal between tubs only the lid. If you feel you need to seal things between tiers just stuff newspaper in between.

Don't worry about having enough food. Your biggest problem will be not being able to leave them alone. I was amazed how much organic stuff you throw out when you start saving it. Please follow my feeding instruction. Overfeeding is far more dangerous than underfeeding.

• theras_garden
    16 years ago

Vagas,
    Thank you so much for posting such great instructions. I've been contemplating starting a single bin but I love your way instead. I'll give it a try.

• shyspook
    16 years ago

Vagas, You are absolutely correct! The Brick is better! I just got my bin set up and the worms and cocoons came in the mail. The opened sack the worms came in went into the bin I had prepared for them. The fat tape I had put on the bottom edge of the bin did not hold it up and the air holes in the bin sank below the level of the first bin. I began to get condensation..I tried several things..and then reverted to the brick in the bottom bin. Presto-bingo! that WAS the answer!

Tclynx, had suggested not removing the worms from their container when first introducing them to their new home. My worms came in a doubled brown grocery bag. I placed the entire bag in the bin (put together complete with netting as per your instructions above) and I tore a small hole in the bottom corner of the bag to let them out. A few hours later, I went and tore a larger hole...and started tearing the bag into strips a few hours after that...IMPATIENCE! Couldn't leave them alone at all! Finally, I went to bed so the poor little devils could do their own thing. I had no escapees the next morning...so, of course I looked and I saw worms in the paper! I sprayed down the paper bag with water to soften it and suddenly realized that I could just leave the whole thing in there and let them make a meal of that as well. 3 days later, this morning, I sprinkled in about 1/2 cup of corn meal and dampened it because I thought they might be hungry...I must not let my worry about them starving cause me to over feed....Your advice has been right on, THANK YOU! And tclynx's suggestion about letting the worms find their own way into the bin from their shipping container has kept my worms in the bin (27 quart size,stackable, with lock-tight lids, black). Thank you so much for your guidence! =o)

• vagas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

shyspook Just make sure the worms cannot get under or through your netting