Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vjeko_gw

outside vermicomposting - newbie advice needed

vjeko
12 years ago

I feel I haven't done enough homework and preparation before I started vermicomposting, so I have a few questions. But first a description of what I have done:

(a)I bought the worms from a farm here which sells humus (not sure how many worms - 3 small boxes with worms + their normal food). I didn't see too many mature worms when I placed them in the permanent box I made (I presume they are mostly young worms)

(b)I had made a temporary box when I bought them as it was quite hot and I had to settle them in somewhere. The next day I made a permanent box (1.5m*1m*0.3m) using wooden boards on a raised bed in the garden + a finewire mesh cover on top.

(c)When I moved the worms to the permanent box I first added some soil mixed with compost (from composting bin),

wet cardboard and straw/dry grass. Then the worms including some soil (as I moved them with a shovel) and sheep manure, straw, material from kitchen for composting on top.

Questions:

(1)Anyone had experience with small lizards - I haven't put any fine wire mesh underneath the box and am worried about them digging underneath (but haven't seen any signs yet)

(2)How do you check how wet the contents of the box is or remove stuff from the box without hurting the worms ;) - whereever I dig a little with a finger I find a worm (as far as I understand your supposed to take a sample, squeeze it and it's supposed to drip lightly)

(3)I read somewhere too much or too little food which is too wet or too dry can cause problems - any guidelines ?

(4)How do you know when there are too many worms (not optimal) in one box ? (I am planning on making another box)

Comments (6)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is a lot of questions. One way to be sure you have all of the knowledge from this or any board is to read the archives. I started at the beginning and learned so much each day from all the years of posters.

any guidelines Yes most bins need more bedding such as corrigated cardboard. This covers a multitude of sins such as too dry or too wet or too acid. It balances them all out for the worms.

• robertz6
    12 years ago

I notice there are no FAQs listed for this topic, as the "Soil, Compost and Mulch" forum has. Perhaps folks could work up a few, and for the time being refer to several short articles on vermicomposting.

Just to be clear -- what type of worms did the poster purchase?

• morgan_3
    12 years ago

vjeko, I realize this is an older thread and you probably have all the advice you needed from the sage advice you were given. However, I was intrigued by the lizard comment. I recently responded to a similar comment in another forum such as this. A young lady was worried about frogs in her outdoor compost bin eating her worms.

My response to her was welcome them in. Lizards yes will eat some of your worms, but they also will help control those nasty red centipedes and spiders, which I personally don't care for either one. Frogs are quickly becoming an endangered species so I say let them be. Lizards like frogs would be a welcome guest in any of my outdoor worm bins. You must be doing things right if they want to move in...

• vjeko
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the comments !

I guess I was like a new father for a while ;) worried
    about everything ;)I've got nothing against other critters
    but I'm a bit particular about them eating my investment ;)

In the end,I made a small bank of soil all around the
    "wooden fence"/ enclosure and bought some fine alu screen
    (like mosquito netting) and made a a frame. The frame sits
    on top of the enclosure with a wide lip outside so that
    nothing can get in/out except underneath.

As far as I know there's no other "predator" except birds
    which would feed on the worms, so I think they are safe.

As far as watering goes, I just keep some buckets around
    collecting rainwater and just shake a pan simulating short
    burst of light rain every couple of days and I throw in
    manure and compost every couple of days also. Now that
    it is so cold, not sure whether it would be a good idea to
    lower the amount of water / the cold rainwater may not
    be too pleasing to the worms ;)

Now that it's getting around zero celsius over night,
    I threw some narrow boards of wood across the wire mesh on
    top of the enclosure, some concrete mesh, plastic foil and
    stones on top to stop the wind blowing it away - and it
    seems to work OK.

I don't do much digging (except light/shallow checks)
    in the enclosure as I don't want to disturb anything - I
    think it's best to leave them alone.

Next, I'm planning on building a mobile vermicomposting bin
    and combining this with manure->composting + introducing
    worms into the garden when I have sufficient numbers
    (I'm paying the workers, so they may as well work where
    it's needed most ;).

• morgan_3
    12 years ago

vjeko, adding water in the winter does not harm the worms. You might try adding some hot water to the rain water. Temperatures here are in the teens and before winter is over we will experience negative digits down to minus 20, or more.

I installed an outdoor hot water faucet to blend with my well water for various plants like cucumbers and squash in the early spring. This faucet comes in handy in the winter to water the outdoor compost bin under my deck. Even though the surface freezes, adding hot water straight from the tap does not harm to the occupants. Come spring there are lots of red wigglers in this bin. I don't do a lot of turning in the winter, but come March out comes the potato fork and this bin gets watered and turned two or three times weekly.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz