Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melenkolee

Do they ever stop wandering off?

melenkolee
14 years ago

Hi folks,

I've had my rubbermaid bin for a few months now, and everybody seems really happy - I couldn't resist poking around the other day (and it has been a few weeks since the last time, i've been good...) and saw both eggs and knocked up wormies. My problem is unless I keep a light on the bin all the time, I get anywhere from 1-10 wanderers who end up shriveling up on my kitchen floor. I know they need an adjustment period, but jeez! Is the light going to be a permanent thing for my wormies, or do they just need more time to settle in? For what it's worth, most of the wanderers seem to be on the small side, like ornery teenagers who won't stay home and do their job :) It's not a mass exodus and everybody else seems happy, I'm just curious if this is normal or if i just have rebellious recyclers?

Comments (10)

• whitepwr
    14 years ago

it's completely normal. however, i always chop the wanderers in half and leave their wriggling bodies in the bin as reminders to other potential AWOLs.

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! Unfortunately by the time I get to them (they must sneak out as soon as I go to bed) they are pretty crispy. I have been chucking them back in the bin though :)

Reckon I'll just leave the light on. Keeps me from bumping my knees on things when I'm wandering around at night anyways...

• whitepwr
    14 years ago

why don't you just keep the lid on?

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There is a lid, and it's kept on. There are also holes drilled along the top and bottom for drainage/air circulation...

If i get ambitious i may try gluing some nylon over the upper holes and see if that deters them any :)

• deafworm
    14 years ago

No worms will leave very healthy bin with food. Why should they unless there is something wrong with it. Too dry? Too wet? Salty food? Too acidic?

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like I said, it's not a mass exodus, just one to a few, and only when the light is off...no salty food is used, it's not too wet to drip excess but not at all dry, and a good hard look shows worms that are reproducing (several eggs and worms getting ready to drop eggs). I pocket feed, burying about 1/2 cup of food once a week (when the last week's meal seems to be mostly gone) in the corners going clockwise around the bin. nobody crawls out the bottom vent holes into the "catch" bin either...just a couple out the top when I forget to leave the light on at night. The bin is a couple months old and has about 500 worms in it, no mites or other critters. I'm using the "panfish worms" you get at walmart (started out week 1 with about 100 worms, gradually built the stock - newest additions were 4 weeks ago). I would think if there were something wrong with the bin they'd all be trying to get away? How would I check for an acidity problem? Their diet at this time is pretty much the same as my turtle's (minus the protein) - spring mix, veggies and fruits that have gone a little far south for him. When the food starts to "go over", i put it in the freezer until it's time to feed the wormies, then thaw to room temps and put in a toilet paper roll. Within a day that corner has the majority of the worms in it. Bedding is shredded cardboard, paper and newspaper and fluffy, not compacted. I check every 2-3 days and mist as necessary, only if the top layer seems dry. The bottom layer never gets a bit dry, but is not wet enough to have leachate. Castings appear fluffy and damp, not soggy and clumpy. The majority in the group is in the newest food corner, with others finishing off previously fed corners. Temps in the house stay between 70 and 78, humidity around 50%. The bin (not sure how many gallons) is one of the grey cheapo walmart ones and measures (about, i'm a terrible judge of measurements and too lazy to go get a ruler) 2 feet deep, 2 feet long and 2 1/2 feet wide. I can't think of any other factors to note...but everything *seems* right based on information I've gleaned from this great forum...

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

You are describing the perfect system, except that your worm population is a bit low, but the worms have their own ways of solving that problem.

A few worms crawling up the sides of the bin are normal. You aren't describing a mass exodus.

The lid, BTW, is not to keep the worms in. I have had escapes with the lid on. The lid is to keep moisture in and light out.

• wormnelly
    14 years ago

My bins are 2 years old and the only time(s) a few tried to run off was before a thunderstorm. But last week, about 10 of them dried up on the lid and I don't know what was going on. I think my bin is perfect. . . but it has been a bit warm & muggy here in tropical Hawaii. I threw some ice cubes in there (then the weather cooled down a bit) and no suicides.

Even if the advice is that a few worms doing that are normal, it still creeps me out and I feel bad.

PLUS, I don't dig around anymore! Once a week, I throw "food" in there and I might peek around then, but nothing like the first year! Don't know what the cure is.

• lkittle
    14 years ago

Hi Wormnelly;Quote "My bins are 2 years old and the only time(s)a few tried to run off was before a thunderstorm.But last week, about 10 of them dried up on the lid and I don't know what was going on. I think my bin is perfect... but it has been a bit warm & muggy here in tropical Hawaii. I threw some ice cub es in there (then the weather cooled down a bit)and no suicides.

Perfact is a absolute and the worms can judge for themselves. LOL Worms wander all their lives in surch of?

• fisheggs
    14 years ago

Worms wander in search of worm love. Of course!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miniscule - Worms in Love