Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katema_gw

where to get small quantity of beneficial nematodes?

katema
14 years ago

I have a small worm box in a small apartment, and I love composting my scraps.

However, I do have a few more flies around than I'd like. Tried all the posted suggestions,and found the idea of nematodes worth a try.

The thing is, I really don't need as many as they sell for my little box and I am on a budget-does anyone know where I can get a few, or have any to share?

Comments (5)

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

I was not able to find anyplace that sold nematodes in small amounts. The best price I was able to get was on Home Depot's web site.

http://snipurl.com/shqlv

Also check shipping costs. On some sites the shipping charges were higher than the cost of the nematodes. For example: I found a site that had nematodes for $15.00, but charged $50.00 for shipping.

If you lived nearby, I'd give you some of mine. I have enough for about 5000 bins.

• 11otis
    14 years ago

sbryce:
    I saw that one from the HD site but was hesitant because it said to combat rootworm, cutworm. What about OUR worm?

Re. the nematodes you bought, I thought they have a short life, even in the fridge.

• katema
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for answers!
    First question-are you happy with the fly control effects?
    I guess the shipping is because they are mailed chilled overnight or something?
    I wonder what would happen if you just mailed a few in a ziploc? most organisms create some kind of spore, seed or egg to revive their heirs after a die off, as in the winter.
    I could send you a self addressed postage paid envelope and bag
    if you interested in this as an experiment.
    Without flies, vermicomposting could become a lot more popular.I hope to share with the local organizations who promote it.Green progress!

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

Answers:

1) I have had the nematodes less than 1 week. It is too early to tell how well they are working. I have been vacuuming a LOT of flies off the walls today.

2) You are correct about the shipping. Home Depot ships ground and does not charge for the shipping, but for some reason mine were sent second day air.

3) I have no idea what would happen if you mailed them via USPS in a ziplock.

4) I am not impossible to find, if you look, but you need just a little more information than is available on this forum. I don't want to post my contact info here. I have a lot more nematodes than I need.

(hint: I'm NOT a Hollywood actor, but if you look for one on Google, you will find me first.)

And for ottis11, they don't harm composting worms. They are the same nematodes you would buy anywhere else to control fungus gnats. The nematodes I bought will live 6 months in the refrigerator.

• katema
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I am not sure which actor, I did try
    you are kind to share info. Understandable about contact info. If you want to reach me is it convenient to friend me on facebook?just add anote to the "add friend" option.
    if you "send a message to" rather than post to a "wall" it is invisible except to the account holder
    If you don't do facebook, it's really easy to sign up and NOT public if you don't want.See Privacy Settings.
    -kate moon matlack (in pic I have a hat)