Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby worms everywhere

Posted by gnomey 7b SC zip296 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 10:45

I got 20 pounds of worm castings for my birthday and found some baby worms in them so I decided to set up my first worm bin in order to try to save them, rather than using them as soil amendment.

So I took a rubbermaid container and drilled 1/4 inch holes in the bottom. Then I drilled 1/16 air holes in the lid and around the edges near the top of the container.

Since I really didn't know how to handle the fact that they were in the castings, I put damp strips of newspaper all fluffed up in the bottom, then put the worm castings in, then put more bedding (newspaper strips with the water squeezed out) on the top, then a wet piece of cardboard.

I put a couple of old french fries and some coffee grounds in two corners, then put the lid on and left it alone.

Last night.. my 4 year old came and told me there was a worm on the outside of the box. I thought he was kidding, but went and looked anyway and it was true. Not only was one crawling down the outside of the box after escaping out of the air holes, there were various dried ones all over the floor and several live ones that I was able to capture and put back in the box.

How can I get these little guys, the ones that are left, to settle down and stay in the box?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby worms everywhere

You could try taking the cover off and putting a light on. They will stay in under the light.

I also think a french fry wouldn't be too appealing for them. Have you got any soft fruit or any soft veggie matter? Just a bit, since you've only got babies.

Sherry

o
RE: Baby worms everywhere

• Posted by gnomey 7b SC zip296 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 19:54

Thanks Sherry, I will try a light. I put a little bit of corn in for them this afternoon and captured a few more renegades that had escaped. I'd be happy for them to settle down and realize that I've tried to make it nice for them inside the box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here