Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mherron2213

When do I move the worm factory inside?

mherron2213
9 years ago

I live just North of Chicago and the chill is here. Today I lifted the two bins and revealed the bottom tray. It has 200 - 300 worms. Since this is the first time I have seen this, Is the chill the reason? During the nights the temperature in the garage is in the low 40's. Is it time to bring the entire outfit into the warmer house? If not - does anyone have an idea why the worms left the feeding bins and down into the non-food bin?

Thanks
Mike

Comments (10)

• 11otis
    9 years ago

Yes, move it inside. 50 they still can take by huddling together but 40 is close to freezing point IMO.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I agree with Otis. Ideal temps are room temps. If it's comfortable for us, it's comfortable for them. At 40, the food isn't even decomposing very well for them.

They're shivering, the poor things. :-)

This post was edited by jasdip on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 13:19

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

This is why I keep my worm factory 360 and homemade plastic setup inside. I use a large walk in closet for this purpose and any roamer worms are still fairly contained. The best asset of having them inside is I can control their bin temps and they will continue to work for me all winter. By spring I will have a good storage of usable vermicompost for my plants , gardens or whatever else.

Actually I use some of the material on cuttings that I take in fall or cuttings from cuttings in which I use about 1/4 of the total mix of soil for a plant.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Yum, with the fallen leaves, the brown crispy leaves are a definite yummy part of their bin set up. I have a couple of buckets of leaves for when I do my next harvest.

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

jasdip, now's a great time...especially if its been raining a lot....to gather mushrooms in the yard. And don't forget to harvest Halloween pumpkins from around the neighborhood ASAP after 10/31.

cb2

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

The mushrooms would get mycelium working for us in addition to bacteria. I think that is a good thing. Is that the purpose of the mushrooms?

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

Yeah, EQII, the wormies pretty much love some mycelium. I think it causes...if you can fathom it....even more frenzied feeding & the ensuing orgies. Both of which we appreciate a great deal.

I've seen worms slink backwards while chowing down on 'shrooms that reminded me of Michael Jacksons' moonwalking. How can I tell they're slinking backwards, you ask? If you gotta ask, don't ask.

A great project is starting a worm bin without worms but cultivating a crop of 'shrooms. Give them a head start then introduce the wormies. It is AWESOME to watch. Looks like a video being played on fast-forward. NSFW though maybe.

Chuckiebtoo

M, D, P, Fungalism

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Chuckie, a few years ago I put a request on Freecycle for people's pumpkins following Halloween. I had a great time Sat am driving around getting pumpkins!!!

• mherron2213
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a Halloween pumpkin. Which parts are best? I suspect - cut it up like watermelon rinds. Also - mushrooms are good - thanks

Mike

• 11otis
    9 years ago

Got 6 busted pumpkins (free) from the super market yesterday. It's been raining so much here and the pumpkins are just rotting in their super big boxes.
    They are cut up to fit in pails for storage or the rats will get to them I'm sure, the rotten parts have been fed to the worms, the seeds roasted for my enjoyment.
    I think I'll pass this year driving around my neighbourhood to p/u PK after Halloween.