Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flour

Posted by dadugriff none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 11:11

I have a sack of old flour to dispose of. I also have several small well established rm bins. Is it ok to put straight flour in the bin? How much at a time? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flour

I guess it should be OK to sprinkle it lightly on top.
I cooked mine, mixed with old oat meal into a gruel and added several spoon full at a time. The worms went nuts,but so did the mites.

o

Flour become paste in the bin and molds badly. I wouldn't use it. But if you are determined to, use very small amounts.

o

I sprinkle couple tsp in with food during winter months. Worms like it.

o

Otis, I put some leftover cooked oatmeal in my bin once, before I started using the green bin recycling program.

Mites were all over it! I tend to have a mite problem in my bin. I hate these buggers.

As an aside, I once put a some brown rice in my bin that we didn't like. It overheated and killed my poor lads. I've never put rice in there since, and am careful with any new food.

o

I nearly killed my worms by feeding them rice. Anything that is very starchy (grains) should be fed to the worms in very small amounts. Mixing it with other foods helps. When I fed the rice in small amounts, the worms were fine. When I got impatient and feed a lot at once, things got really ugly.

o

Ive been in the habit of sprinkling corn meal in my bin and never had any problems with critters. But I tried some pancakes after seeing someone else do it on you tube but I wont do it again got a lot white worms from it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here