Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steelinthefield

Clubroot in Vermicompost

steelinthefield
9 years ago

I've been searching the internet trying to answer this question and have come up empty handed.

Does Clubroot survive in vermicompost? I've read that using worm castings or compost tea from worm castings can help fight club root...but do fungal spores die if you put them in vermicompost?

I started vermicomposting about a year and a half ago and have got a few trays of really nice castings that i wanted to spread in my garden next season. most of the produce i've been putting into my worm bin has been from a farm where club root is a big problem and i've composted soil that was still on some food scraps like garlic and onion roots/paper and cabbage leaves. the garden where I want to spread my worm castings will have brassicas and I don't want to contaminate my soil. I don't have a way to test the pH of my worm castings, perhaps someone on here might have an idea of what the average pH of castings are when they are finished. I'm not sure what pH is required to kill club root either or if that's even possible.

Comment (1)