Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluefoxicy

New to Vermicomposting...

bluefoxicy
10 years ago

I'm new to vermicomposting. Trying to get started with a Worm Factory, a bin, and some Red Worms and European Night Crawlers.

The bin contains European Night Crawlers, dirt, some water, some compost (half-finished from the compost bin), and coffee grounds mixed into the soil. The ENCs in there seem to be doing extremely well. The soil sloped to a pool; I got some juvenile ENCs after a couple weeks, and they... climbed into the water and died. Adult ENCs were climbing into the water and ACTIVELY SWIMMING(?!), and they're fast in the water; but I dumped used coffee grounds in there to give the juveniles an easy way out.

The Worm Factory contains an unknown number of Red Wigglers. I see plenty at the bottom of the bin when I overwater it (they ran from the moist, still-hot coffee grounds); but even when they vanish into the bin, I can't find them. Digging doesn't help. I'm finding juveniles, too. The bin is mostly coffee grounds, but I added them hot and wet--not good. Since the coffee grounds dried out some, I've been finding plenty on top the bin--not in the coffee, but rather on top of ALL the material, even the shredded paper. They seem to have all migrated back into the bin... somewhere.

I've been using TUMS crushed and dissolved into water to control pH because I don't have access to egg shells. Coffee grounds are a pH control but they can go from 4.6 up to around 8, and really 6-7 is ideal (but 4.6 isn't really that bad). I have lots of coffee grounds; I now put them in a separate bin for a week, where they get covered in white mycellium from fungus. Mix that up and throw them into the bin, mixed with plenty of microshredded paper.

I think my red wigglers are subsisting poorly on coffee, while the ENCs are subsisting well on what's mostly just raw topsoil. I've made coffee grounds available to the ENCs; they seem to like it (they climbed into it and immediately started using it as a breeding ground--you can tell by the sudden swelling of the big white ring around all the worms as they get ready for loads of worm sex). The wigglers seem to be investigating it more as it becomes more hospitable?

I may have also done poor on the red wigglers by mixing ground up soy bean pods (from edamame) and french fries... the fries fermented. Horrible alcohol smell, I dug that out. The bin wasn't healthy to start with when I added the coffee--too hot and too wet. It's starting to look like they take fairly well to coffee IF the worms are healthy AND the coffee has had a few days to sit, dry a little, and cool down.

I'm about to dump fresh worms into the bin. I might stack up a second tray in the Worm Factory, with coir, peat, paper, and coffee as a bedding. Will the population expand to fill two bins--2500 worms per bin, 5000 worms total? Will the worms migrate to the less hostile bins if I make a mistake with feeding?

Comments (4)

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

You have created a hostile environment for the worms. Please don't add more worms until you fix the problems.

The first thing you need to understand is the difference between what we call 'bedding' and what we call 'food.' Bedding is anything that is high in carbon: paper, cardboard, coir, dry leaves, etc. Food is anything that is high in nitrogen: kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, etc. Mixing coffee grounds with shredded paper does not produce bedding. It adds food to bedding.

You are grossly overfeeding. I would put enough bedding in the bin to absorb the excess water, and offset all the coffee grounds. Then stop feeding for a few weeks. Putting dirt in the bin was a mistake. Too late now. Add lots of bedding, and you should be OK.

Stop adding Tums. Instead add more bedding.

I like what you are doing with the coffee grounds. My worms seemed to ignore them until they started to form the white fungus layer on them. The only other thing I would do is add more bedding to offset the nitrogen in them. It is probably the nitrogen, and not the pH, that is causing your problems.

Adding another tray will only help if you create a better environment at the same time. Your half-finished compost makes excellent bedding. Since it is already C:N balanced, you really don't need additional food. The worms will increase to fill whatever space they have, assuming a healthy environment. Mix your compost with shredded paper or cardboard, add enough water to make it moist, but not wet, and you will have great bedding. You have already seen that adding food also adds moisture, so you need to be careful not to let things get too wet.

So: 1) more bedding, 2) less moisture, 3) no more dirt, 4) slow down on the feeding.

Worms are pretty forgiving. I think this is a mess that can be fixed over time.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Grab a home brew, sit down and put your feet up, mate. This government shutdown might take a while. No doubt you'all in DC are going to need a lot more entertainment than worm sex to stave off the boredom. I'm going to need a few more brewskies before tackling this one.

• bluefoxicy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I only used dirt in the bin with ENC, which is separate from the Worm Factory with Red Wigglers. They seem to like that fine.

I figured that coffee was relatively benign over time--it won't ferment into alcohol, and if I pre-compost it it shouldn't heat up on its own--so it seemed like a good food source. You indicate that mixing compost with paper produces an ideal environment that doesn't require additional food; by that logic, if I let the coffee grounds pre-compost for a couple weeks, I should be able to use them as a food source without worrying about overfeeding. I'm getting mixed signals here; please clarify.

I was hoping on adding another tray with more worms both so that the additional worms could more actively deal with the excess mass of coffee grounds and so that the new tray could be less of a disaster to provide refuge. This time it'd be pre-composted (not fresh, hot, wet) coffee grounds mixed with coir, peat (the worms come in peat), and plenty of paper. I just happen to have access to a lot of coffee grounds. Would it be better to stick to just coir and paper?

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

You need both bedding and food. Coffee grounds can be good food if you do exactly what you are doing with them. The problem I am seeing is that you are adding the food faster than the worms can eat it. Let the worms catch up. When they do, you will probably need more bedding, since they also eat the bedding as it decomposes.