Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamlinsky

These are in my worm bin!

TamlinSky
10 years ago

Hi! I have had my bin for almost 3 months now. It is indoors, and the worms have reproduced lots, and in general seem very happy and healthy. However, recently I have noticed these beetles. They are increasing in numbers, and although they seem to be coexisting peacefully with the worms, I am concerned that they may compete for food, and perhaps be dangerous for the garden.
Does anyone out there have any ideas? What are they? Are they okay in the bin?
Thanks so much for any help...

Comments (7)

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

what have you been feeding your worms?

• TamlinSky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi...
    I have been very careful to feed them just fruit and vegetable scraps, no citrus or pineapple. Sometimes some bread scraps or stale bread ends (with nothing on it). They get coffee grounds, rinsed egg shells, lots of brown waste...I also freeze everything first to kill the fruit flies and break the stuff down a bit first. Any ideas?
    Robin

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

doesn't look like a predatory beetle so I wouldn't worry about it. However it kind of looks like one of those flour beetles so maybe it came from your bread as larvae and pupated into an adult in your bin.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

compete for food

If so then just consider it another composter working for you.

Possibly other non fury pets might enjoy them, chickens, frogs?

They will probably run their course and never be seen in the bin again.

A size reference in the picture would be handy such as a coin.

The little bugger certainly is a round little guy.

"came from your bread as larvae" I'm never eating bread again. I certainly hope the vermicomposter used leaves or something as bedding that these little guys arrived in.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

actually they look more like cigarette beetles...a common pest of stored products. Bread is certainly a possibility or cardboard....they might be able to hide in the hollow spaces between cardboard....not dangerous to worms just a pest.

• TamlinSky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, thanks for all the input!
    The beetles are very small, less than half a centimetre..
    A cigarette beetle...I've never heard if that, I'll go look it up. The other species I found is the "acylomus". Or the shining flower beetle. I can't imagine where it came from, but they eat mold. Which I suppose is a good thing? I am going to check the cigarette beetle..and the bin. I might drop in some bread in top and let it mold...see if they show up to the party.
    Thanks again,
    Robin

• TamlinSky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cigarette beetle looks a lot like the ones in my bin. I have attached a screenshot of the acylomus beetle, which is also similar. I guess neither will hurt the worms, but I would prefer that they left. However I suppose we may all just have to live together peacefully.
    Thanks again!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting