Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee grounds

Posted by sk290 9b (sk290@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 13:59

Is coffee grounds food or bedding material? I've read in some old post that it's used as bedding material along with newspapers and something else. I guess the difference to me would be whether to mix it in the bedding vs. just feeding in one corner along with the food to be consumed.

How much coffee is enough or too much?

Sandra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee grounds

The distinction between food and bedding is a little gray, they chew up the bedding too don't they? Coffee grounds alone don't make good bedding material. Wet coffee grounds, leaves, etc. are high "N" items; generally a food item. When dried out these same items would be considered high "C" items; generally considered bedding.

Good bedding would be material that holds moisture well and prevents the compost from compacting too much. Coffee grounds alone would not have these characteristics. Dry leaves make good bedding material but dry leaves alone can tend to matt together making them not so good bedding.

A good rule of thumb is to have a good mix of materials. I generally unceremoniously dump every days coffee grounds on top of one of my bins and let the worms sort things out on their own.

o

I want to make sure that I keep a 'clean' bed and appropriate food for them so they are fat and happy. If it starts stinking my boyfriend will probably make me get rid of them. :)

Thanks for all your help!

Sandra

o

Unlikely that coffee grounds will get smelly. Leaves are great because they don't smell that offensive as they decompose either. Other food items that may smell when decomposing in large quantities can be managed by only adding what your worms are able to process in a matter of a few days. Start slow and over time you get a feel for how much you can add at a time.

o

I bet the boyfriend stinks before the worms do.

o

used coffee grounds are most definitely not bedding and are a good source of nitrogen. They are a little slow to decay, but will make a great addition to a well bedded bin. I use them in addition to my bedding and other kitchen scraps. Caution: contrary to some other opinions you may have heard, if too many coffee grounds are provided with sufficient oxygen, they will heat a bin and roast your worms. Have a very happy worming experience. steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here